1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

John Huston's last film, "The Man Who Would Be King". Sean Connery and Michael Caine in the Rudyard Kipling short story. It's fabulous.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get sucked into these movies on Netflix. Good actors in films I wasn't aware of. Typically they're movies that tested so poorly Netflix picked them up for a song.
    That said, The Foreigner was ok - a little First Blood mixed with Patriot Games with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. Coldest Game with Bill Pullman was a decent Cold War tale (though it could have used another trick up its sleeve) and The Duel was an overly atmopheric Western with Woody Harrelson. In short, the kind of movies you'd find still on the shelves of a video store on a Friday night at 9 p.m. Not terrible. Not great.

3. Neutral Corner

There is just so much out there that it can be hard to make a choice. My wife is doing "Brideshead Revisited" from 1981, which neither of us had seen. Jeremy Irons is impossibly young.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Invisible Man; well done.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Saw your prototypical art-house horror, Color Out of Space, last night.

Based on a H.P. Lovecraft story, a meteor lands near a rural converted farmhouse in Massachusetts and wrecks all sorts of predictable havoc on the family there. It's one of those films where you practically see the hundreds of story board produced by the director, showing the really, really cool effects! and super atmospheric scenes that he's worked up. It's also one of those rare films where this is (mildly) enjoyable - though in no way scary.

Director Richard Stanley has been in movie jail since helming the flop remake of The Island of Dr. Moreau way back in 1996. The best thing that came out of it was the documentary about it, Lost Souls. Marlon Brando chewing through the scenery, zombie midget divas, The Heaven's Gate of Horror. Good stuff.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Watching Saving Private Ryan and the only question I have is who are the three hot granddaughters of the old Matt Damon?

Severian likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Man - this looks good.

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I love Tom Hanks, but this looks atrocious. The CGI most of all. If you want true WW2 submarine film2, look to the classics: U-571 and Das Boot.

9. Neutral Corner

This is Hanks as the commander of a tin can. Different angle on the same story. He's trying to shepherd a convoy through a German wolfpack.

Das Boot was sooo good.

10. DanOregon

Das Boot was tremendous. This movie Greyhound looks like something Hanks was able to piece together on his own. The budget's less than $60m, I've never heard of the director before, his IMDB lists no credits (for anything) since 2014.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Spencer movie that just came out on Netflix.

Fun little thing. Worth two hours but not worth $10.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I watched "The Dead Zone" today, seeing it from almost the beginning. I posted several months ago that the film didn't age well, just generally disparaging it. But watching it today, I see it in a new light and report that it's a pretty good film with a Walken's Walken performance and the really cute Brooke Adams — and Tom Skerritt before he got old and gray.

Like my college GPA, it's a high B-minus.

Draft saved Draft deleted