1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Instead of by accident?

Sounds as awful as Last Christmas.

Needs to be a Deadpool Society remake of this.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just watched.

Clean tight story-told movie.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watched The Dirt.
    Story about Motley Crue.
    6 out of 9 toes.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I caught “Birds of Prey” for a date night. It’s less than two hours and it doesn’t slow down enough to take itself too seriously. The action is pretty basic and more than a few jokes fall flat, but it’s fun, especially when Margot Robbie and Ewan Macgregor ham it up. If you liked “Deadpool 2,” it’s for you.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Watched The Natural last night all the way through for the first time in likely more than 30 years. Some thoughts:

— the kid who played young Roy looked a lot like Redford and, despite extremely limited screen time, showed talent to convey emotions.
    — forgot completely that Michael Madsen played Bump Bailey.
    — Wilfred Brimley is two years older than Redford in the movie.
    — the lighting is absolutely perfect. That is something I never noticed as a kid.
    — Joe Don Baker was uncanny as The Whammer. How did no one ever decide to make a Babe Ruth film with him in the lead?
    — one of my problems with this movie when I was young was understanding the passage of time. Teen Roy looks like comeback Roy. Teen Iris looks just like middle-age Iris.
    — my memory always had Meg Tilly as Harriet Bird. But wow Barbara Hershey is also fantastic in a limited role.
    — Randy Newman scored the movie. I think I knew this at one time, but was blown away as usual.
    — the foreshadowing in the film is done so well.
    — the opening credits acknowledge a Los Angeles set person and a New York set person. Damnit, give Buffalo some credit!
    — apparently, at least according to a documentary I saw, this movie helped make buffalo wings a thing as the crew and actors served as apostles to the rest of the nation about this delicious food they had discovered. Not sure if it was true, but there is a clip of Redford costume obviously being interviewed about what he liked about filming in Buffalo and he talks about the wings.
    — now my wild ass take based on a past decade of people reimagining plots. Roy does die and everything is a fever dream as he bleeds out on the floor of the hotel.

justgladtobehere, Batman and maumann like this.
  6. Songbird

Scene for the ages.

7. Songbird

"Rednose" ... "greenhorn" ... black widow ... golden hue of the setting sun ... quite the colorful scene.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Songbird

I'm about a half-hour into Lady Bird and it's not taking.

I like Metcalf ... her 9-minute episode-opening monologue in Horace & Pete's is one of the ages.

I want to like Ronan more but just keep seeing a younger less-chops'y Chloe Sevigny.

Who knew the Beanie chick was making a cottage industry of playing that frumpy high school bestie?

And something something let's riff off Sacramento! Which I suppose is pretty funny.

One of my best sportswriting memories went down in Sacramento, starting with meeting Kurt Rambis in the lobby of a hotel.

But anyway, I'll try to get thru Lady Bird. Wasn't it widely lauded?

9. Songbird

1, Beanie Feldstein's brother is Jonah Hill.

2, Beanie Feldstein is Jewish playing a character who attends Catholic school ... and it gets to the scene where the students are getting Lent charcoal crosses thumbed onto their foreheads and right before Beanie gets hers the scene ends. You've gotta think her parents did not want that visual on the big screen. Which leads to the question, Why the hell is your Jewish daughter, who likely had a Bat Mitzvah, playing a Catholic schoolgirl?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He was nominated for an Academy Award for it. Just looked it up now and had no idea he's been nominated for 16 of them, and only one twice (one of which was a lifetime achievement award). I always thought he was just sort of a folksy, niche artist.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Insightful stuff.

12. Songbird

Oh, was I supposed to bring insightful stuff? #IllRememberThatNextTime

Draft saved Draft deleted