1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Joker. Damn. Helluva film. Quite a feat for Phoenix to make the audience empathize with a murdering, mentally-ill psychopath. He did it.

I don’t know if he deserves or will win the Oscar. But the physical performance of that laugh, over and over, is something to behold.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watched King of Comedy (Scorsese, DeNiro, Jerry Lewis). Serious creepy but funny too. Lewis was really good. So was Sandra Berhard. My boy said Joker has soon roots here so watched it.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

1917: Wow. What a ride.

garrow, bigpern23 and SFIND like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen Joker, but just stuff I saw in trailers brought King of Comedy to mind. I haven't seen the latter in a while, but I remember really liking Bernhard's performance.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ready Player One: Not a gamer, but I enjoyed the references - I was expecting a bit more of an emotional payoff at the end than "Go outside and play." Kind of just a next gen Willy Wonka.
    Mama Mia 2: Probably better than the original in that they crafted a better story, Streep was more than capably replaced by Lily James and there is something to be said about seeing people obviously enjoying themselves on the screen. That said - if you're going to play up Cher's appearance, how about a little backstory? Mostly though - this film has the most laugh out loud cameo out of nowhere since Lance Armstrong in Dodgeball.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It really was. A hell of a ride, indeed. The way the camera almost danced with the actors was remarkable. Really an achievement in cinematography. The film was truly gripping and you could almost feel the claustrophobia in the trenches.

My only gripe is how much of it was spoiled in the behind-the-scenes feature I posted here a couple months back.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Tourist - lots of great action and a nice plot twist at the end. Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie were great. A former Bond - Timothy Dalton - and a former Bond villain - Steven Berkoff - in the same movie. That can't be a coincidence.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I watched 1917 on Saturday. Loved it.

I don't understand some complaints in reviews I'ce read about not getting to learn enough about the two main characters. I thought they handled right and made the dialogue and what was revealed believable.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I have a list of movies entitled "Movies I like, but everyone else seems to hate." The Tourist is on that list.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It certainly isn’t a character study, nor is it meant to be. It puts the viewer smack dab into the middle of WWI, and it does so in spectacular fashion.

SFIND likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Another one of mine is Purple Hearts with Cheryl Ladd and Ken Wahl. I got to personally tell Cheryl Ladd how much I liked it. Of course the critics trashed it.

garrow likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ken Wahl movies generally don't get great reviews - he was great in The Soldier from back in the '80s. No Cheryl Ladd though - sadly.

Draft saved Draft deleted