1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw an ad for the Hanks Mr. Rogers movie. Funniest thought I had was when the "this film is rated PG" showed up. It really would have piqued my interest if it said "This film is rated R for extreme violence, profanity and graphic sexual depictions."

Not at all surprised Charlie's Angels tanked. Seemed like one of those movies where the last thing they thought about was the script and whether anybody was really interested in seeing another go-round.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Great call on the sound editing. Amazing to think that for actual existing Cobras and Ferraris of that time, price tag of all the cars in the movie is like about $200 million.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of the great opening 6 minutes of a film, ever. So intense, and that ominous score.

cyclingwriter2 and TigerVols like this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Just finished US. It's brilliant. I didn't mind that I saw the final twist 45 minutes into the movie, I just wanted to see how it would be revealed.

I'm not sure if I want to call the tonal shifts a flaw. Are they a design or a feature? The movie feels like it was created in deliberately discreet sections with each one having its own feel. Think of any story arc in episodic TV with different writers and directors handling an episode within the larger narrative. The first thirty was moody and atmospheric. The second was 90s horror setup time. The penultimate half-hour was 80s matinee scream at at the screen time and the last was a twisty-turny ride through pop-culture as commandeered by H. G. Wells' Moorlocks. Also, Lupita Nyong'o and both kid actors freaked me the hell out.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

That was good. Of course, I always laughed at that one gang who thought they would be intimidating going out dressed like mimes.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

There was a time I could tell you the name of all nine warriors. That movie was gold to me. That being said, there are parts of that movie — namely some of the gangs —that are more comical than scary. Especially, the mimes, the roller skating gang and the baseball furies.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not a huge animated guy, but Into the Spiderverse lived up to they hype on animation alone. A real achievement. While I understand why most animated films have to have a "feel good" message, a moral or whatever - I do wish when it was over I was left with a deeper meaning to the film.
    Echos in the Canyon was interesting, a doc discussing the Laurel Canyon music scene in the mid to late 60s. Could have used a journo or music academic to talk about its impact, the exact timeline and long-term impact of that era. But it is crazy to think using an electric guitar on a folk song like Turn, Turn, Turn continues to be present in present day country and rock records.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Went and saw "Ford v Ferrari" today and it was great. Obviously, you'll get great acting from Bale and Damon, and the rest of the cast was pretty good (Josh Lucas will always deliver playing a smarmy asshole).
    I found myself really invested in the story, and the fact I didn't know much of anything about the whole Shelby/Miles, Ford/Ferrari thing meant I didn't have anything 'spoiled' although I would have enjoyed it anyway.
    Finally, I love the fact that the guy (Jon Bernthal) who played The Punisher also played Lee Iaccoca.

OscarMadison and misterbc like this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How was Bernthal in that role? I noticed him in the trailer, but I'm wondering what he can do outside of a violent, tough-guy role.

10. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

As a huge auto racing fan of the 50s and 60s eras I was a little skeptical that Hollywood could get such a gritty storyline captured since car racing movies aren’t exactly their forte. “Rush” was v good but it dealt with a more glamorous era than 1965-6 when sports car racing was still a niche and under reported male dominated ‘sport’. You had to be a car guy to know what was happening, reading Road&Track or MotorSport was how you stayed in the know.
    When I saw who was starring I actually thought Bale would be cast as Shelby, Peter Fonda would have been perfect as a cool cat California car impresario in his day, but I was hugely impressed by the roles delivered by everyone. Damon was great and, as was said in an earlier post, Tracy Letts killed it as Henry Ford II. The automotive eye candy was tremendous!
    Not as compelling as “LeMans” with Steve McQueen due to the visceral racing footage, but overall a more complete story and a better movie. Always thought “Grand Prix” by John Frankenheimer starring James Garner was a damn good flic which brought to the surface the raw appeal of European auto racing and the fascination of it by Hollywood leading men. Show biz people, along with European aristocracies, were the main buyers of Ferraris, Maserati’s and Jaguars of the era. Sinatra liked the luxury of Maserati’s.
    This movie is essential to remind guys like me and educate the younger crowd of just how special sports car racing was in its Golden Era.

Songbird, Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm glad you liked it. Part of me wishes they'd cast Bale and Damon in each other's roles.

@DanOregon, Charlie's Angels didn't need another reboot. The original series was fantasy fodder for the boys and live-action adventure stories for girls who thought they were too grown for Electrawoman and Dynagirl. The first cinematic reboot was loud, stupid, and fun. Not sure what they were going for this time around.

Songbird likes this.
  12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I've heard 1917 is getting rave reviews, most of which praise the technical aspects. I was excited for a new WW1 movie, but now, knowing that it's filmed to look like one continuous take, consider me conductor of the HYPE TRAIN.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted