1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Ford v. Ferrari. It's good; Bale's great, Damon's solid. I didn't know anything about story going in but even for those who do seems like they should enjoy it.

Splash: I can see it not aging well but still has one of my favorite lines, perfectly delivered by Hanks. "All my life I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's...she's a fish."

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hmm...it's more violent and darker, and probably closer to who King is, than Kubrick.

I love Kubrick's The Shining, in part because it's hilarious is extremely inappropriate (and banal) ways. It has about as much in common with Tom Green and Christian Bale's Patrick Bateman as it does Stephen King.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Kubrick killed Dick Hallorann with an ax to the chest. He lived in the book. Mike Flanagan chose to follow Kubrick's narrative over King's narrative.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I suppose I'm speaking to the tone of the overall enterprise, but, duly noted.

Kubrick is hard to duplicate or even appreciate. I had a smart friend who called Eyes Wide Shut a boring piece of shit and I said "It's not, but you're right, it is."

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How your friend feels about Eyes Wide Shut, I feel about AI.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Motherless Brooklyn. Saw that. The movie lived in Edward Norton's head too long and the book mattered too much to him. It's a misfire. Not quite on par with Zaillian's remake of All The King's Men, but not far from DePalma's Bonfire of the Vanities.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, well, it's directed and shaped by someone who, while great in his own right, is great in a very different way with sensibilities nothing like Kubrick.

Spielberg got Teddy right, though. A monotonous, banal toy bear.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Convincing...

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, "Eyes Wide Shut." About the biggest mindfuck of a movie I've seen. All these years later, I still don't know what to think of it.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Eyes Wide Shut is a magnificent still-life.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ford v. Ferrari. Highly recommended by me. Bale and Damon both excellent. Guy who played Henry Ford II also excellent. Had all the trademarks of a Michael Mann (executive producer) film. Basically an essay on fast cars and men's clothes, especially hats.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ford v Ferrari is a blast. The sound editing is the perfect rumble for American muscle cars. And yeah the acting is very convincing.

Draft saved Draft deleted