1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or they're just speaking their minds and think the stuff is repetitive tripe, just like I do.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How many have they seen? How many have you seen?

Just the Captain American movies alone are very different from one another. Your analysis seems right in line with theirs, which is lazy and rooted in ignorance of the subject. (To be clear, the subject is movies based on comic books, not movies in general. Of course, they know something about movies. You haven't shown any such knowledge.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. CD Boogie

I bet they're all about a fictional superhero who runs around in tights.

4. outofplace

So you're going with the ignorant approach. Got it.

5. CD Boogie

Yeah, sorry, I'm with Scorsese and Coppola. Guess they're ignorant, too.

6. outofplace

Given that they haven't even watched the movies they are criticizing, yes. On the topic of MCU movies, yes, they are ignorant.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I saw Joker and El Camino. They were good, I just didn't find anything compelling about them. Joker hinted at things, but never got into them. In the end it was just about Fleck's mental illness. El Camino was just an extension to the Breaking Bad story without anything new.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Stuber was good for a few laughs.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

El Camino was done well and I don't feel like I wasted a few hours on it. But it added nothing. I think most of us could have figured out that would be the path for Jesse. I sort of figured that's how it would go reading a small amount before I watched it but I was hoping to maybe be surprised. Decent Breaking Bad empty calories, though.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Super hero movies are not Goodfellas or the Godfather.

They are getting very close to being as good as Raiders of the Lost Arc and outside of the first two Star Wars movies, they are superior to the Star Wars franchise.

People buy a movie ticket for the same reason you start reading a book; you want to be entertained.
    Laughing
    Crying
    Scared
    Thought-provoking
    and sometimes you want a roller coaster. Marvel has almost perfected the roller coaster.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Per Scorsese, Loach.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

These guys aren't wrong, by the way.

MCU is not cinema.

It's just the movies, in the long tradition of the movies. For every Citizen Kane or Grand Illusion or Rashomon there are a hundred Flash Gordons or James Bonds or Hopalong Cassidys.

That said, if you had told eight-year-old me in the mid-60s when I was an avid consumer of Marvel Comics that these would one day be the preferred entertainments of grown-up Americans, I'd have rolled my eyes and scoffed.

The weirdness is maybe the sensitivity of that adult audience to any criticism of what is a decidedly adolescent taste.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted