1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting thread here.

Scorsese criticizes the Marvel Comics movies. Behold the blowback.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Clearly he didn't see how people responded to End Game. The thing that draws me to MCU films isn't the action - which is pretty cartoonish and very WWE - but the connections between characters. The criticism is interesting because his films are probably more known for their graphic language and violence than their human interactions.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do wonder which movie or movies he "tried." I don't think it is accurate to say none of those movies have "human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being."

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It isn't for younger viewers. They will be expecting a "comic book movie" and this isn't it. The pacing is deliberate, the atmosphere is uncool (and unfamiliar) and there isn't much in the way of rapid-fire with witty rapport. The action is limited with nary an explosion. They'll be bored.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Joker. Eh.

I knew what I was getting into. As nuts as some people are about avoid "spoilers," I'm opposite -- I like to know most or all of the plot going into films such as these, especially if I'm going to see in theaters and plop down that money.

I mostly agree with the New York Times review I saw -- it . I also watched out for several things theories talked about, but I think they're all largely reading too much into it.

I think "First Reformed" is a better decent into madness film from recent years.

What I enjoyed most was the trailers for 1917 -- which I was unaware was being developed. Very excited. With dozens of big-budget WWII epics being produced in the last two decades, I'm glad there's finally one set in WWI.

I Should Coco and garrow like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I understand that, and in that context the press release made sense. I just found it remarkable.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The entire movie is filmed as a single, continuous shot. Looks incredible.

SFIND likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't know who posted it or where (bc, ya know, that search thing) but someone recently recommended The Rewatchables podcast on the Ringer and man were they right. Highly entertaining, totally in my wheelhouse. If you're someone who has rewatched movies like The Town, Reservoir Dogs and Top Gun innumerable times, you're gonna really dig this podcast. It's funny, irreverent and breaks down scenes in a way that we've all considered but that people here are actually putting words to. I hate that I didn't think of this idea:)

HC and lakefront like this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Finally saw Spider-Man Far From Home. Glad I only paid 5.99 to watch it on PPV and not in theaters. Nice movie, nothing great nothing too bad Tough shit on spoilers now. Nick Fury needs to retire. Aunt May needs to find better jeans. Why didn't Tony leave a nano-tech suit for Spider-Man?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Throne of Blood," Kurosawa, 1957.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Saw Joker yesterday. The build-up was well worth the end. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing. I liked that Dinero was in it because the story reminded me so much of Taxi Driver. Wasn't perfect. There were definitely moments that left me thinking "get on with it!"

Best thing is Phoenix completely erases the bad taste Jared Leto left. I don't know if everyone will agree but I think he did one better than Jack and cracked Top 3:

Heath Ledger
    Cameron Monaghan
    Phoenix
    Jack
    Mark Hamill
    Caesar Romero
    50 feet of crap
    Leto

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

He's not wrong. Most of them are awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted