1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Trailer just dropped for Scorsese's DeNiro/Pacino epic The Irishman. Sign me fucking up.

Deskgrunt50 and garrow like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gave Once Upon A Time in Hollywood another chance yesterday ... perhaps I was a bit harsh after the first time.

Liked a few things more this time but still can't get over the cataclysmic violence into the soft landing at the end.

3. typefitter

It helped me when I realized that "Once Upon a Time" means that it's a fairytale. Rick and Cliff manage to hold off the end of innocence. They get to hold on just a little bit longer.

Dyno likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I get exactly what he was going for ... it just didn't work for me.

I probably liked Pitt the best in the movie. I think he got it. Not sure Leo made the right buddy for him.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Netflix...

Wow

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Man, that checks off a lot of the boxes I'm usually looking for in a movie...

7. typefitter

Kind of shocked Pitt is 55. Thought he looked a little older, wondered how old he is... 55. He's turning into late-career Robert Redford. He's going to make something amazing when he's 76.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

He really kind of got a late start. His big break, as I remember it, was in Thelma & Louise, which came out in 1991, when he was 28. DiCaprio had plowed a baker's dozen of well-known Victoria Secret models by that age.

Pitt's first moving acting credit came in 1987, when was 24.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Been hearing about this one for awhile. Is there any way it can live up to expectations? Damn, I hope so. Just everything you want in that trailer.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Going to see Once Upon ... Hollywood on Sunday. Reviews, pro and amateur, have been all over the place. Looking forward to it.

11. CD Boogie

I frankly find it distracting to see some of these guys in such roles as this. I hear Pesci and just think of his character from Goodfellas. And Pacino seems to have stopped acting and simply taken to smiling and talking like he's the ringleader of some big inside joke. DeNiro at least seems to have committed to the role.

I loved this book and want to see the movie, but I have a sneaking suspicion -- in part because of the anti-aging technology deployed in the editing process -- that this effort is going to underwhelm or perhaps undermine the memories of how great these participants (including Scorsese) were in previous projects with similar material. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  12. typefitter

Is the book "I Heard You Paint Houses"?

Draft saved Draft deleted