1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

DiCaprio was at his high mark in Blood Diamond -- he'll never do anything close to that again.

And ...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Tarantino's worst movie by a mile. So disappointing.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just got back from watching, and I rather enjoyed it. I certainly don't think it cracks the top five of Tarantino's film, but this was miles better than The Hateful Eight, for example.

Was talking with the friends I watched with, and we agreed that we spent a lot of time trying to figure out the point of the movie, what the plot was, etc. It sort of meandered for a bit. (AND I'M AN IDIOT HOW HAVE I NOT DONE A DEEP DIVE ON THE SHARON TATE MURDER UNTIL NOW?!!). The Bruce Lee scene was pretty funny, and I liked a couple of the quick cameos (Costa Ronin, Scoot McNairy especially). One of my friends audibly groaned when Lena Dunham showed up, lol. The editing was a little loose too.

Kind of full circle for Tarantino to have Maya Hawke play a small role, considering his love affair with Uma in the early films.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I saw Once Upon A Time today. I have no idea why, really, but I enjoyed it. I kind of bathed in it. There are so many scenes, after the fact, that make you kind of just go, Well, that was fun to watch, but ultimately pointless? Like, it's almost the purest form of theatrical entertainment. It's just a thing that's fun to look at, and that's all it is. It's like watching clouds form.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is exactly it. It was a fun way to spend 2-plus hours. Was it a theatrical masterpiece? Far from it. But I was entertained and that's all I asked out of a movie these days. Best use of a flamethrower since Tommy Vercetti in Vice City.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yesterday. Fun concept and well done. Enjoyed it as a fun little fame and love story.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I didn’t like it as much as I wanted to, but it was a good concept and the writing of Richard Curtis was again pretty good.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Say what you want to say about Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, but the soundtrack is absolute fire. Going through it on Spotify now ... it's fantastic.

8. typefitter

I think I figured it out. Took me a bit. But I think I figured it out.

If I'm right, my Tarantino ranking:

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Inglorious Basterds.
    3. Jackie Brown.
    4. Reservoir Dogs.
    5. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.
    6. Django Unchained.
    7. Kill Bill.
    8. The Hateful Eight.
    9. Death Proof.

9. typefitter

Wait. Why is Reservoir Dogs called Reservoir Dogs?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Brother Loves Traveling Band is one of Diamonds best ever.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Because one doesn’t like to tip?

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Coen Brothers > Tarantino?

Draft saved Draft deleted