1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never understood what directors saw in DeCaprio. He has the looks, sure - but I can't say I've ever been moved by one of his performances. Gilbert Grape was okay, but I've seen better performances of physically and mentally disabled people. There are better acting movie stars - Tom Cruise was better in Born on the Fourth of July, Jerry Maguire and Magnolia. And better actors period (Giamatti, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, DeNiro).

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Did you see The Revenant?

3. DanOregon

Yes, the guy was brutalized for two hours - I'm still trying to figure out the point of the movie (aside from getting him an Oscar). I have an Oscar theory that the actors who portray the character who suffers the most in a role will win. Dying of Aids, crippled as a kid, autistic, you have to paint with your foot, sodomized by a bear...

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't think DiCaprio is the greatest thing ever, but he was amazing in "The Aviator." When I saw it, I found that I forgot I was watching Leonardo DiCaprio -- something that's usually pretty hard to do. I always thought he should have gotten an Oscar for that performance.

qtlaw likes this.
  6. DanOregon

This made me laugh for two reasons - Winslett finally won an Oscar for The Reader - where she played a Nazi war crimes defendant - and the other supposed "guarantee" for an Oscar for actresses, nudity (at some point in their career).

lakefront likes this.
  7. Kind of like press association award, huh?

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Goddamn, that's a good trailer. They really cast both films so well.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He was excellent in Blood Diamond and Gangs of New York, as well. I think he's a hell of an actor, honestly.

Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator, The Departed and Blood Diamond is one hell of a five-film run.

Tweener likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It’s funny that Leo is starring in a movie about an actor’s relationship with his stunt double; what I’ve always felt Leo needed for every roll post-Titanic is a voice double. His high, squeaky voice drives me bonkers.

11. Severian

He wasn't sodomized.

12. Severian

He was also a great asshole on The Wolf of Wall Street.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted