1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Captive State.

Aliens conquer Earth, begin stripping the planet of resources and force every nations' governments to surrender and disband their militaries. Some years later, in the shithole of Chicago, a terrorist cell tries to ignite a global uprising by setting off a bomb to kill some of the aliens publicly. Meanwhile, the human police force tries to stop them. John Goodman will be up for best supporting scowl for his performance.

Movie is shit from beginning to end. Everything comes off like a high schooler wrote the script and thinks you'll just take his word for it that things happen and that the twists just tie together.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Captain Marvel was good. Too much Samuel L Jackson. Spoiler ahead

Seems like the movie had 2 goals

1. Get to the 1st post credit scene.
    2. Explain Fury’s eye patch.

As hot as Scarlet Johansson has looked in a variety of uniforms nothing in the MCU rivals Brie Larson wearing jeans and a T-shirt

And the obvious question, wasn’t the Battle of NY or Ultron worthy of Captain Marvel?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of speculation online regarding why it took so long for Fury to page her. One theory is that he felt confident the Avengers could handle those events. Another is that things unfolded too quickly and she never would have made it back in time. A third is that he did try to page her on those occasions, but she was too far away.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw Aquaman. Its ability to succeed was limited by technology. It was simply unconvincing to watch so much underwater CGI. Momoa is awesome in the role, but the plot wasn't particularly original and visuals were pretty bad.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You ever seen Chef? Worth the time if you can track it down. Great cast, well written.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. outofplace

It was on Netflix until recently. I'm not sure if it is on any streaming service right now. I saw it with my wife and daughter in the theater and we enjoyed it. It is a fun little story and as you said, a great cast.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish Favreau acted more. He kills in just about everything he does. Chef, Rudy, Swingers. He'd be a great lead for a cable or streaming series. The other thing - he really should play a newspaper editor, when newspapers still had cocky and sarcastic editors.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He directed Chef, and that was when I really took note of his directing chops. Yeah, it's a small movie, but it hits all the right notes. Writing, casting, line delivery is good across the board.

He kinda got sucked into the Marvel vortex, and that's a lot of time and money.

9. outofplace

He did, but I'm guessing that helped get Chef such an amazing cast, with two MCU stars taking on small roles in the movie.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. outofplace

I am a big Cinema Sins fan. For those who haven't seen the Everything Wrong With videos on YouTube, I highly recommend them.

I just watched the one for A Star is Born. They have a lot of fun with the movies flaws and appreciate some of its endearing moments, but this one did something a little different at about the 14:40 mark. They took a break from the comedy for a brief moment of talk about suicide prevention, which I thought was very cool.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jester going below the hard deck is a pussy move

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah that was a fun one. Was thrown by Scarlett J, forgot she was in it. Great cast with Hoffman, Canavale and Leguizomo. Enjoyed the little story. Favreau will always be "Money" Mikey to me (Swingers).

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted