1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Saw Fighting With My Family. Didn't know much about Paige's story going in so didn't entirely know what to expect. Some of it felt contrived. Even went back and watched her debut match and it's clear she was a little bit of a known commodity rather than a complete fish out of water. Overall a decent movie. I'd be interested to hear from the wrestling fans of the thread what they thought.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Cold War, with subtitles. A love story unlike those produced in America — and with an unexpected ending. Recommend.

Free Solo is going to be on Nat Geo without commercials Sunday, I think, but I’d really like to see it at the theater to get the full effect.

zufer and bigpern23 like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A really interesting 1978 documentary I came across on Amazon Prime: "Frank L. Rizzo: Amateur Night at City Hall." Cameos by Andrea Mitchell, Larry Kane and Richard Nixon.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Last Showman - Except that the "bad guy" in the film is the critic - I don't understand why the movie was so poorly reviewed. It's a film about the circus and critics are ripping the lack of depth? Thought it was very good, and that the focus was on the performances rather than deep meaning or historical accuracy - was probably a wiser choice. It delivers and doesn't get bogged down in pointless melodrama or making some political statesment.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do you mean The Greatest Showman?

People love it, critics don't. Has that in common with Bohemian Rhapsody. Both are feel-good movies filled with music while fudging facts. People enjoyed watching because the songs and message are fun and positive. Haven't seen BR, but did enjoy TGS -- though I didn't think it was a great movie. The songs set it apart.

6. DanOregon

Yeah - my bad. Found this article online which kind of "explains it" - I guess I just don't get how The Shape of Water gets props and a Best Picture Oscar for being a throwback movie while The Greatest Showman didn't. I also wonder if the director not having a track record made it easier to bash. I almost think the way it hit $400m in global box office without ever being the no. 1 on any particular week in the US and WITH the bad reviews is about as remarkable a feat at as has been done.

The Critical Sin of ‘The Greatest Showman’: It’s Defiantly Uncool

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hugh Jackman is just full of joy in that movie, he really makes it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The hate by certain white males towards the Captain Marvel movie is fascinating.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That the movie isn't even out yet makes it even more interesting. I'm seeing it next Sunday with the family. I'll have to report back later. I'm not quite sure what to expect, but as long as it's not in the territory of Thor: The Dark World, it should be fun.

10. DanOregon

There is something really odd about anyone feeling they need to "defend" a fictional character from the corporate entity that owns it.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's what comic book fans do with these movies. I was trying to explain this to my wife last night. There was backlash when Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine. He was too tall for the role. He wasn't nearly ugly enough. Of course, he proved to be a fantastic choice.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Saw "Free Solo" and then "Meru" yesterday. Not on an IMAX, on Amazon Prime. Thrilling to observe, but I really came away not caring for Alex Honnold and many of these other climbers. People who are so obsessed with pushing the limits that they're asshole human beings, living in vans for years on end. Honnold seems like he's on the spectrum. One of the guys on the climb of Meru, in India, had fractured his skull and nearly died in a skiing accident, and he was warned that climbing that high would likely trigger a stroke. But that didn't stop him. Sorry, I don't find that admirable; I find it distasteful and kind of pathetic. You can't find meaning in life from doing something else? And they're all like that to varying degrees.

Draft saved Draft deleted