1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I watched it on the Amtrak home from DC the other day. Great thriller, very entertaining. The ending left me unsatisfied, though. I wanted more of an explanation of, well, you know. John Malkovitch was great, as always.

Also, SPOILER ALERT...

Post de facto, I read a review that said the ending departed from the novel it was based on in one big way: the people living together had blinded themselves voluntarily in order to survive. That's much darker and obviously not the uplifting angle that plays well in H-wood.

lakefront likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

threatening the maid by saying he was gonna call INS if she didn't open the door, then putting Holly's life in danger by interviewing the kids on live TV is a little bit over the line. little bit

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Retwatched Contact, boy did I wrongfully dismiss it before. I was hung up on Jodie Foster seeing her dad and my boy yesterday told me that's how an alien being would try to communicate with us, make us comfortable, so I rewatched it. I get it now. Loved how Zemekis raised the competing issues of faith v. scientific proof.

lakefront likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I liked contact a lot; but then again, I tend to enjoy aliens-invade-but-don't-try-to-kill-us movies.

Anyway, saw Vice yesterday. Christian Bale is our finest actor working on the big screen at the moment.

Adam McKay has his thing down pat; it was entertaining...a tad long, and I couldn't help but think the whole "todays-mess-started-with-this-guys-ilk" messaging was a bit on the nose.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was the first thing that came to mind when I read Liut's post. The Paper is great, but I think Spotlight is better.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Vice is one of those movies that is impossible to judge without factoring in your feelings on Cheney. The movie is anything but subtle, offering a voice-over that may as well have been Michael Moore's (it isn't) and the rhythms of "The Big Short." It plays a little loose with the facts and chronology, very loose with the narrative structure (make sure you sit though "both" credit sequences) and almost doesn't even seem to be about Cheney at all, but how Americans allowed our country to be led by such a man without a peep. He ends the movie not much different than how he began - a cipher addicted to power but without the ideals that fueled the power. The power was what fueled his ideals.
    And like a lot of biopics, stretching the story across four decades didn't help. Would have been better to condense the story to a tighter time line with a flashback or two than the "and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened...."
    Highly recommend chasing this movie with a viewing of Mary Poppins or something uplifting.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Ok, I googled "lox" and all I found was -liquid oxygen- and the food item. Lox?

8. lakefront

Good ending.

9. lakefront

Yes, Cinestudio in Hartford, for one. If anyone is in the area, a nice alternative for watching movies. Calendar - Cinestudio
    Also TCM schedule at Cinemark TCM Big Screen Classics | Fathom Events

10. lakefront

Mary Poppins Returns. Very nice movie, I would recommend watching the first one if you or the kids have not seen it. Not required, but why the heck not.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She just lays there on the plate

lakefront likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Poppins. It was ok. Really like the cast. Good performances. But wasn’t super memorable. Didn’t have the few “grab you” songs a movie like that needs.

Draft saved Draft deleted