1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

A damn shame David Fincher didn't do the other three movies. The first one was fantastic.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody today. I enjoyed it: 3.5/5. Rami Malek deserves an Oscar nod.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Finally saw Solo: A Star Wars Story today. It wasn't bad. Perhaps I see it that way because my expectations were so low.

I'm certainly one of those fans who wasn't going to have trouble watching anybody but Harrison Ford play Han Solo, but I'm certainly not alone in thinking that Ehrenreich's performance was one of the movie's weak spots.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Bohemian Rhapsody. Bad reviews sent me in with low expectations. Thought it was solid to good. Rami was very good.

Not quite sure why reviews were so harsh. It’s not an elite film. But it’s a good flick.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The biggest complaint I heard was that the story arc of the band's career was kind of pedestrian; I kind of agreed with that, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. There was also criticism of the historical inaccuracies; I only a problem with one particular inaccuracy. And, I think some didn't like that some kind of deep exploration of Mercury's bisexuality wasn't front and center; which for me was just agenda-pushing by those thinking it was just a story about Mercury instead of the whole band.

But, yeah, I enjoyed it, as I stated earlier in the thread. Not perfect, but well worth the admission.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely get that. A delicate balance between a movie with commercial appeal and more of a deep dive. They played it safe but doesn’t mean it’s a bad film.

To please everyone it would’ve needed to be five hours. Or a great documentary.

It might have been done and I missed it. But the best (IMO) music doc I’ve seen is the four-hour piece on Tom Petty that was on Sundance 10-12 years ago. I’m a fan, so I’m biased.

If there’s something similar on Queen, I’d watch the hell out of that.

misterbc likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to remember the name of it but I saw a docu program on a flight that I think was from the BBC (which Google tells me was called Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender). It follows Freddie through his time with Queen, his desire to bring operatic elements to their songs, his solo effort, his party life, his relationship with Mary and his ultimate death. Seeing that kind of ruined Bohemian Rhapsody for me (the movie not the song).

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just addressing your first point, it is the fourth time someone has made this movie. I assume all the beats are going to be pretty predictable. I mean, we all know how the Aristocrats joke ends, but it's about how a comedian gets you there.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Post

It really makes you appreciate the greatness of All the President's Men.

Tons of familiar faces in the film including McNulty’s lawyer friend in a very minor role.

Severian and misterbc like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw 12 Strong - a movie about the first US military engagement in Afghanistan after 9/11. Decent war movie, a few obvious lines "This war will be over by Christmas.." Made me wonder if we've morphed from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to something closer to the Cold War with spheres of influence and proxy wars in the Middle East and SE Asia.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The King's Speech. Watched it on Netflix last night. Wow, what a movie. It definitely deserved all those Oscars.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Tim Burton directed the new Dumbo.

Draft saved Draft deleted