1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Big thumbs up for A Star Is Born. Very well done. Hard to pull off that kind of emotional reaction when many know loosely what will happen.

Gaga was great. And impressive acting and directing from Cooper.

Packed house. Lots of folks in my general seating area sobbing.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Saw it Saturday night and had the same experience. Wife and I really liked it but we both had the final couple of scenes lose their impacts because there were people near us just ugly crying.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As much as I liked the movie, I didn't love the end. I get it. I saw an interview with Cooper in which he says that last frame, with Gaga looking into the camera, is the moment the star is born. (Though I really like how he said that the audience is going to experience it their own way, but this is how he sees it.) I just thought some earlier moments had more impact. Even smaller ones, like the scene with Bobby dropping Jackson off at home. You can just see how those two men have such a hard time saying what they really feel to one another. Jackson just forces the words out and shuts the door and Elliott, who does so much with that great speaking voice, does all his acting with a facial expression.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't see many movies anymore (maybe 2 a year), and I rarely give a shit about most of the hoopla surrounding some of these movies. But goddamn. That wasn't a good movie. It was a great movie. There are certainly things you could nitpick, several probably, but the greatness of the overall product vastly overshadows those nitpicks. From start to finish, it's simply great.

Cooper was great. His directing was awesome, especially for his first go at it. The supporting cast was great. But Gaga stole the show. She was tremendous. I've listened to the soundtrack at least 3 times in the last 24 hours. It's so damn good.

My mother probably hasn't been to the movies in 20 years, if not longer. I'm dragging her ass out to see it. And I'll probably cry right alongside her.

Fuck, that was great.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I saw Ocean's 8 on a plane and really enjoyed it.

I'm glad to read people enjoyed A Star is Born. I'll try watching it this weekend.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just saw a story online about the filming of the final scene. Apparently, Lady Gaga got a call that a close friend was dying. She left to be with her friend, but didn't make it before the person died. She then returned to the set and they filmed that final performance.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pleasantville. It’s been out 20 years. It’s just a great movie

“Those are Whitey’s cookies”

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

For some reason, I just sat through "DumbTomb Raider." Story was lousy, action wasn't great and I didn't particularly like Brie Larson's take on the character. Though the action shows her to be a strong and brave female character, I thought Larson played it pretty meekly.

The film did give me a new appreciation for mid- and end-credits scenes. There were two scenes at the end of the movie I thought took away from the "completeness" of this film to set up the franchise.

Had they left the ending at
    the signature in the boardroom,
    you would have had a complete film. Adding in the final two scenes,
    the discovery of Patina and the return to the pawn shop to buy her guns,
    really just made the film seem incomplete. Like we just watched all this dumb action that ultimately didn't mean much, but the real story is about to begin.

The first
    discovery of Patina
    would have made a better opening to the sequel and the last
    buying the guns
    scene was tailor made to be in the credits.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

A Star is Born; damn it was good. The concert scenes were so realistic; Sam Elliott is compelling, loved both stars

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Finally got around to see Solo. It’s a better movie than I expected.

So far I like Rogue One and Solo as much as any SW movie and better than most.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I got emotional watching A Star is Born because it reminded me of the 70's and how inclusive music was on AM radio; I thought nothing of being a fan of both KC and the Sunshine Band and the Marshall Tucker Band. John Denver's Take Me Home Country Roads right after Stayin' Alive.

I liked listening to Cooper's music and the big Southern Rock feel and reflected on how segregated today's music is rather than inclusive.

That's the biggest issue with our country these days IMHO; we focus on our differences rather than our shared concerns. We need to get back to working together.

FileNotFound and I Should Coco like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Never understood why it didn't do better at the box office. Figured it would become a classic.

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted