1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, those 10 tickets were probably ticket people who pushed the wrong button. I do wonder if theaters even put it on the marquee or advertise it. They could "show" it at 11 p.m. or 11 a.m, doesn't sound like the distributors really cared.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If you were stuck trying to release a Kevin Spacey movie, wouldn't you change the title so it didn't have Boys Club in it?

I was going to guess maybe the FIFA movie did worse, but it apparently made $918 opening weekend.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Three Billboards. Great cast. Great performances. Enjoyed it.

Knew it was an “open” ending. Didn’t think it was as controversial as some.

I happen to love a well-done piece of work that leaves you to discuss what happened.

First, it rings true that a lot of cases like the one in the flick are never solved. No closure.

My opinion that nobody asked for? They don’t kill the guy. Two damaged people go on a six-hour ride together and decide not to do it. And probably end up with each other.

4. Hostiles.
    Christian Bale western.
    Did Not like. Not good.

Also rewatched Kingpin ... Wasn't a big fan of it the 1st time. Even less so the second time.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think they go through with it. She was that far gone and he would go along with it.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Am I the only waiting in painful anticipation for the closing parenthethis?

Fred siegle likes this.
  7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It wasn't the ending that bothered me. It was the complete about face of Rockwell's character when there was absolutely nothing about his character that made that seem believable. Great performances in service of a lesser story IMO.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Definitely a stretch. Did Willouby’s letter change his whole life? Combined with being set on fire? Yeah, that’s a totally valid criticism.

9. DanOregon

What do I win?

Kevin Spacey Pic ‘Billionaire Boys Club’ Bombs At The B.O.: A Deeper Look

"Billionaire Boys Club never was positioned for a theatrical release in the specialty sense of the word like a Focus Features or even an Amazon release. By and large, cable contracts with theatrical-VOD distributors dictate a one-week, 10 big-city market theatrical run. This is so that a film, like Billionaire Boys Club, can be slotted in the “In theaters” portion of a VOD menu and be rented/sold at a higher price. Furthermore with a VOD release, the distributor “four-walls” the film for a week at a theater, which is what happened here with Billionaire Boys Club, meaning the distributor literally rents each theater in each market for around $5K-$10K a week."

10. DanOregon

Oddly enough - watched "All the Money in the World" - I can't imagine Spacey was better than Plummer. And it's one of those based on a true story movies that seems so hard to believe it really happened the way it went down. I don't tend to feel sorry for multimillionaires, but that Getty family was some kind of screwed up.

11. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Sorry! I'll see if I can edit.
    Something else I noticed - when the kid goes to the library, one of the books he takes off the shelves is "In Cold Blood ()

12. DanOregon

Roman J. Israel is probably the most interesting character Denzel Washington has ever played. I do wish the plot hung together better. He's like a cross between Urkel, Rainman and Stokley Carmichael.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted