1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What struck me about Incredibles 2 is the setting is roughly 2004 or so. They picked it up a month or two after the original, so no IPhones.

This also makes more sense when you see how the villain works.

2. Travolta's John Gotti movie is being savaged as worst mobster movie ever made.
    Not surprising since it took eight years to happen and 2 or 3 directors to slap something together.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Travolta also did "Battlefield Earth", which has to be in the running for worst science fiction movie ever made.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

"Directed by Kevin Connolly" is as good a sign as any that it's going to suck. No talent little person.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

RE: Incredibles 2

What the fuck was that cartoon short about the dumpling that comes to life?

6. Neutral Corner

I think I'm going to trot on over to the "Things that make you feel old" thread now.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does John Travolta suck now again?

8. Neutral Corner

I urge you to find and watch this film if you have not. Wonderful documentary on one of the four groups of session musicians who made many songs you know by heart, the others being the Wrecking Crew in LA, Booker T and the MG's, the house band at Stax in Memphis, and the Swampers at Muscle Shoals. The Funk Brothers did the music for Motown in Detroit, virtually all of it. The producers decided what artist was best suited to do the vocals over them, but Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Supremes, The Miracles, Martha and the Vandellas, the Four Tops, The Jackson Five and many many more sang over their groove. Fabulous film.

When Berry Gordy moved Motown to LA he left these guys behind. Some of them found out they no longer worked there by reading a notice on the door.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Take out the "science fiction" qualifier and you'd still be accurate. Never actually saw the movie, but I heard/read enough about it.

When I worked at Upper Deck in the late '90s, we started branching out into entertainment products, and I actually proofed the Battlefield Earth card set before it came out. I still laugh about the company actually thinking it was going to make some money hitching a wagon onto that movie.

10. Neutral Corner

Yeah, it was a massive stinker. It's just if you put it into the open category there are a lot of competitors.

Just off the cuff, zero research - Ishtar. Several Eddie Murphy films. Ditto Matthew McConaghey pre "Dallas Buyers Club". Plan Nine from Outer Space is a traditional contender. "It's Pat", based on the SNL character, who sucked in skits, and whoever thought two hours of was worth filming should be shot. Gigli. Although I have something of a soft spot for it, "Howard the Duck" probably belongs. Showgirls. Heaven's Gate.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Man, just looked up John Travolta on Rotten Tomatoes. Gotti is his second 0% movie in a row. Plus he's got a 9%er from 2015. And one at 11% in between. Go back to 2009 and you have a 5% movie (Old Dogs). Two years prior is a 14% movie (Wild Hogs) that somehow made $168 million.

But, good lord, is his output this decade nothing put dreck. You can measure the box office returns on most of his movies in the tens of thousands.

What a career when Battlefield Earth isn't even your worst movie!

I sure hope he's saved his money.

12. Neutral Corner

Meh. He can sell one of his airplanes.

Draft saved Draft deleted