1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Rewatching The Natural ...
    Still teary at the end.
    1: It just occurred to me: Bassinger poisoned Hobbs, right? That's how he ended up in the hospital. That never occurred to me until last night.
    2: How the hell did Hobbs not know the kid was his? Great ball player, but a little thick.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it was lasting damage to his stomach from when he was shot. I thought they found the bullet and gave it to him at the hospital, but I could be remembering that incorrectly. I haven't seen the movie in a long time.

During the climactic game, he was bleeding from the gut. I remember the opposing catcher noticed the blood on Hobbs' uniform.

3. That all happened .... And I thought the same thing ... That's how I remembered it.
    But what triggered the problem at the party? He had no signs or issues prior.
    Bassinger had an interaction with Hobbs and Gavin McCloud told her she had lost control of her boy ... next scene she tells him to try this and pops some food in his mouth. Then he has the stomach issues.
    He never had stomach issues until then. Nothing... There was no indication of anything in the movie of the lingering effects of him being shot until then ....
    And of course then when the pumped his stomach did they find the bullet and talk about the lining of his stomach being gone.

Honestly, he never should have been bleeding from his side to begin with ... They pumped his stomach and he had 16-year-old scar tissue.

4. outofplace

The whole thing was confusing. Perhaps it was both something she gave him and the long-term damage from the bullet remaining in his stomach all of those years.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking about various "passion projects" some actors get to do after they make a studio a ton of money - Tom Hanks in Casta Away for example - Kevin Costner's The Postman or Michael Cimino's Heavens Gate. Other than Barbara Streisand's "Yentl" - I can't think of a similar project fronted by a woman. I kind of define these films and movies that would simply not get made without starpower/juice behind the scenes.
    You would figure Streep could make just about any movie she would want - and perhaps Julia Roberts used her cred to get Erin Brockovich made.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Incredibles 2

Very good but a shade below the first, which was magnificent.

And someone must of told Obama he could be in the movie. You’ll know what that means when you see it.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Ocean's 8 while on vacation. Didn't set out to see it; it just happened to be the only thing showing in English around the time I really needed to sit down.

My expectations were low and it exceeded them, though I wouldn't recommend going out of anyone's way to see it. It was worth the $3.75 admission, though.

For some reason, I find amusement in today's casting -- gotta be sure we hit all the right skin tones when making a pal movie. No Hispanics in on the hijinks, though. But Helena Bonham Carter is adorable.

8. Acts of Violence.
    A terrible, terrible, terrible Bruce Willis' movie. Willis is a co-star, along with Mike Epps, who's the bad guy.
    Don't.
    Do. Not. This is easily one of the worst Bruce Willis movies ever made.
    Did you ever see Four Brothers, with Mark Wahlberg? That movie would win an Best Picture Oscar, compared to this one.

Alma likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does Bruce Willis suck now?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Salma Hayek - Frida

Reese Witherspoon - Wild

Hepburn made The Philadelphia Story as her comeback movie. (And what a movie it is.)

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wifey and I went with my HS Junior (who loved the first one and actually picked this over Solo) and we had a blast. Very well done.

12. outofplace

My 14-year-old made the same call. We're seeing it Friday.

Draft saved Draft deleted