1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I watched Invasion USA not that long ago. Chuck Norris, all denim in Miami heat, submachine guns on shoulder straps, "it's time to die" over and over, and a plucky, semi-attractive freelance photographer that somehow shows up wherever he is. It's so terrible that it's extraordinary.

And yes, I did see it in the theater many, many years ago.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I liked A Quiet Place, too. Willing to overlook its plot weirdnesses in exchange for getting to see an original movie.

Watched Call Me By Your Name last night. I can't remember the last time I cried watching a movie, but I completely lost it during the father's speech toward the end. Pretty much a perfect movie for me. I thought it was beautiful and much better than The Shape of Water. I would have been seriously rooting for it had I seen it before the Oscars.

3. typefitter

Also, Michael Stuhlbarg, who has divergent roles in both Call Me By Your Name and The Shape of Water, is fast becoming my new Garret Dillahunt. The fact that he also played Arnold Rothstein in Boardwalk Empire kind of blows my mind.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I grew up with Mike. Probably the most super gracious classy guy from Long Beach.

5. typefitter

Well, he's a fucking fantastic actor. I was watching Call Me By Your Name and thinking, Man, I know him from somewhere. After, I checked his IMDB page and was totally floored. One of those classic screen chameleons—a true actor.

6. Songbird

He'll win an Oscar or two. I haven't caught him in everything but I did enjoy him in Hugo.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  7. Songbird

I was in 2 Summer Stock shows with him, Oliver and Oklahoma. Here's the cast photo from Oliver. Top arrow is me, other arrow Mike.

22135629_1790616550961920_4945809450426928901_o.jpg

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I saw him in A Serious Man and it quickly became one of my favorite movies. His performance is one of my favorites from any actor. I just figured he'd blow up quickly. I kept waiting and waiting. Seems like it took a couple years for him to get there, but I'm glad to see him finally hit it big.

9. typefitter

What I find incredible about him—in Boardwalk Empire, he exudes pure malice. In Call Me By Your Name, he might be one of the warmest, most benign characters in cinematic history. He can do ice and he can be the fireplace. That's a hard trick to pull.

Hermes likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Saw “Blocked” this weekend. I enjoyed it immensely. It’s not perfect, but it has the right mix of earnestness, insanity and raunchiness that I expect from good R-rated comedies. Just enough T and A, though we all could have done without the full frontal nudity from Gary Cole. That’s not much of a spoiler.

Cena was good, Leslie Mann is like the queen of these comedies already, and Ike Barinholtz was terrific. The teens were largely forgettable except for Cena’s daughter, Geraldine Viswanathan, who was funny and stood out. And her prom date, a drug afficionafo who just happens to be the son of Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, was also a notable.

I’d recommend it for young and old alike.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Holy Sheet -- he's the guy who plays Ewan McGregor's business partner in Fargo Season 3??? How did I not realize this!!!!

12. typefitter

He's amazing. He has four credits in 2017: Fargo, Call Me By Your Name, The Shape of Water, and The Post. He was in three films and all three were nominated for Best Picture. He's today's John Cazale.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted