1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I didn't love it but didn't mind it either for a couch potato lounge session. TJ Miller is from Silicon Valley (tv show).

2. Clooney/Damon film Suburicon BOMBS ...

Box office bomb: George Clooney's 'Suburbicon' is one of Paramount's biggest flops of all time

Can't say I am surprised. I had zero desire to see this. And Not too impressed with Clooney's previous directorial attempts.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Trailer played like a self-consciously quirky Coen Bros. wannabe.
    Had no interest in it.

Clooney directed 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind,' which I really liked, and 'Goodnight and Good Luck,' which was just alright despite the overblown praise it received.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watched War for Planet of the Apes, had such high hopes and it was NOT a war movie.

Spoiler Alert..

Couldn't they have done something more original than just cut and paste the Apocolypse Now script???

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't Stark give him back the one he used most of the movie at the end? That was what Aunt May busted him wearing. I'm guessing it will still have all of the technology we saw during the movie. I do see your point, but I think the MCU powers that be like giving Peter somebody to interact with while he is in action and the AI serves that purpose.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It looks the same, but they didn't show any of the AI or gadgets, so I'm not sure. The lesson of the film is that if he's not Spider Man without the suit, he'll never be Spider Man with it, so its possible the final suit did away with the gadgetry. I sure hope so. A techno suit like that takes away from the character.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Halloween.

Unintentional comedy bit: Dr. Loomis creeping around in the bushes next to the Myers house, scaring kids trying to go in with a weird grin on his face.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Split.

Really enjoyed it; sure, the ending could have had a couple more twists and turns but the acting was solid, McAvoy deserves a nomination, and I found it pretty quickly paced.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Inside Job. With a cast that includes Denzel, Clive Owen and Jodi Foster, it should have been a lot better than it was.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just got back from Thor: Ragnarok. It wasn't my favorite of the Marvel movies, but it was the best Thor so far. As advertised, it goes for more of a Guardians of the Galaxy feel and parts of it are funny, but that is an odd contrast with what is a dark story overall.

There is a mid-credits scene which is important to the overall plot and a post-credits scene which is a waste. It is supposed to be funny, but I was just annoyed that I waited for it.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"War for the Planet of the Apes" was really good. The apes were so well rendered, they were simply characters, not distracting CGI creations. They worked in some nice nods to the originals (giving Nova her name, the explanation of the cross structures which marked the edge of the Forbidden Zone, for instance) and it was good to see them explain why humans regressed to the primitive state they are in during the originals.

Harrelson was a worthy villain and it's indicative of how well-made the trilogy is that we, as viewers root against him even though he really was humanity's last hope.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Happy Death Day was cute. Written by Scott Lobdell, who is responsible for many 1990s X-Men stories. It's basically Groundhog Day mixed with Scream. Enjoyable enough.

Only The Brave has an incredible cast that acts the hell out of the movie -- Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Andie McDowell and an unrecognizable Taylor Kitsch. Based on the true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a group of firemen who fight the wildfires of the West. I didn't know the story before I went in, which made the movie better. Don't spoil it for yourself if you plan on seeing it. It's an excellent movie.

Thor: Ragnarok is what people have said it is. Only thing I don't really like about the Thor movies is they make Thor into kind of a dolt. In the comics he's very serious about his fighting and his status though he lives it up when the fighting is over. They make fun of his seriousness a bit in the movies, but make him a bit clueless sometimes. That's not Thor.

Draft saved Draft deleted