1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. I have never watched Blade Runner. Seen parts and the ending ... Never watched the whole thing.

2. Gold.

It was Alright, Alright, Alright.
    Decent 2-hour movie. After I watched it, I wanted to learn more about Kenny Wells and the gold scandal. The real story is more interesting than the movie.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went yesterday. The word that comes to mind for me is "ponderous." They could have tightened it up so much. I enjoyed, not loved, the original. My wife loves the original, she was so excited she was literally dancing in her seat when it started, then by the end she was utter disappointed.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Kingsman: The Golden Circle" on Friday night.

I loved the campy original, but the sequel was too long and not nearly as funny. Pedro Pascal was/is great in "Narcos," but he was miscast in this movie. Jeff Bridges, Halle Berry and Channing Tatum were there for the paycheck, but Elton John was an inspired piece of casting. I'd give it 2.5 out of 4 stars, and that's being generous.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Star Wars (the original). Forty years later, and still a pretty good flick.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

At least they didn't go the other way. From the trailers, it had looked like it was going to be a 2-hour, dumbed-down shoot-em-up.

But yeah, ponderous is the perfect word. And of course, they never talked about the war where the interior designers conquered the world.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yesterday morning the perfect Saturday or Sunday morning movie came on. Kelly’s Heroes. It’s magic

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Battle of the Sexes; forgot how strong Billie Jean was; Jack Kramer comes off as an ass; Carrell is very good; Emma Stone was dead on

9. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Saw "The Meyerowitz Stories" on Netflix. Hoffman, Sandler and Stiller were excellent... film lost steam in third act, but worth a watch.

qtlaw likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Get Out.
    Lived up to the hype and exceeded it. I could see this being discussed like Vertigo is still talked about. I could write a college thesis on the genius casting of Bradley Whitford alone, between his West Wing and Revenge of the Nerds 2 roles.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Spider Man: Homecoming was very, very good. I haven't watched any of the Toby Maguire or Andrew Garfield ones in a while, but my first thought was that this was better than all of them. I loved the first Tobey Maguire movie when it came out, but it has aged very badly. Spider Man 2 was probably the best until this one came along.

I liked that they skipped the spider bite story and simply focused on Parker learning to use his powers. This was a story about a young Spider Man, but not an origin story, which we've all seen enough of at this point. Also the diversity of the cast was a strong point, and Parker's buddy was very funny.

I'm hopeful that the suit Spider Man dons at the end is not super-technologically advanced the way it was earlier in the film, because I think that reduces him to simply a product of Tony Stark, rather than his own person, which was really the thrust of the film.

Keaton was strong as Vulture, although I would have liked him to be a bit more evil/insane. Perhaps we'll get that moving forward.

If there was one thing I didn't like, it was Spider Man fighting the final battle in his hokey homemade costume. I get why they did it, but I consistently hate it when these films spend inordinate amounts of time or crucial moments of the film with the super hero out of costume or out of character. I want to see SPIDER MAN fight the Vulture, not a guy in a jogging suit and a ski mask fighting him. It's nitpicky, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Watched "Office Christmas Party" the other night. I'm surprised this didn't fare better at the box office or among reviewers. It only got a 40 percent from Rotten Tomatoes and a 41 among audience members, further reinforcing my belief that the public -- especially those who fashion themselves as critics -- are tasteless morons. I thought it was hilarious. I'd never seen T.J. Miller in anything before, and that guy is funny as hell. Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston, Olivia Munn, Kate McKinnon. Great cast.

Look at these asshat reviews. All these are why you should never read movie reviews. If a trailer looks good and you trust the cast, that's enough to go on.

upload_2017-10-24_14-53-10.png
    upload_2017-10-24_14-53-40.png

Draft saved Draft deleted