1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My Avett obsession is in overdrive. Just got home from Judd Apatow's Avett Brothers documentary "May It Last" which played for one night only at around 300 theatres across North America. As a musician it was so lovely to see just how friggin' functional these guys are - open, honest and the entire band seems to genuinely love each other.

It's reignited my passion to make music (which has been seriously waning) but also made me sad as I struggle to accept that this chubby middle-aged opera singer will never get to sing with them.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Revisited "Almost Famous "; that was IMHO really well done, Fugit/Kate Holmes/Crudup were terrific, Jason Lee great emotion, and of course Frances Mcdormond as the worry mom. Just enjoyed the sweetness of the connections. Oh forgot Philip Seymour Hoffman was dead on as the rock critic.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

There are a few sad souls in this world who care about the continuity mess of the original Halloween series. I am one of them.

Whatever happened to the Satanic cult featured in Part 6, who was revealed to have secretly controlled the Smith's Grove sanatorium? Will Paul Rudd, who had an early role as a grown-up Tommy Doyle, be returning? (And no, don't tell me they were ret-conned away. Wonderful things like them just don't do that.)

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They weren't so much retconned away as they were ignored.
    There are three or four timelines for the Halloween series. Not counting Part 3, which is its own special brand of bizarre.
    Timeline one: Halloween 1-6, which has the satanic cult.
    Timeline two: Halloween 1-2, H2O and Resurrection. In this one, parts 4-6 are an alternate timeline that never happened.
    Timeline three: The two Rob Zombie remakes.
    Timeline four (apparently): Halloween 1 and 2, and this new one.

It makes no sense, especially for casual fans who are trying to connect the dots. In a weird way, though, it is faithful to John Carpenter's original vision for the series. He wanted it to become a horror anthology, not the Michael Myers saga, which is why Part 3 was so batshit crazy. That was intended to take the series in that direction.
    So if you think about it, it's kind of become an anthology series but with the same main villain.

6. "Mother," Jennifer Lawrence's new movie with Javier Bardem is a colossal flop.
    Reviews are terrible.
    Rex Reed called it the worst movie of the century. IT continues to make hay at the box office.

Lawrence - who I really like! - is struggling with her movies of late: Passengers, Mother, Joy

Watched the Captain Underpants movie with my two youngest. It was hilarious!!

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I love Darren Aronofsky. But, from what I'm hearing about mother!, it might be too fucked up even for me.

Still think I'll give it a shot, though. Reviews aren't terrible - they're actually pretty good.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Saw It last night and it was fantastic. My wife who dislikes horror movies in general loved the movie. The kids are amazing and Pennywise is wonderfully creepy.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I haven't read the book, but is there a reason all of the adults in the movie are almost as creepy as Pennywise?

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Haven't read the book either but from what I hear there are some really fucked up things that happen. I'm assuming the parents lived through the Black Spot in the 60s and got screwed up.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law walked out of it and said it was just too disturbing. That makes me want to see it that much more.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Captain Underpants was really funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted