1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Just saw "Baby Driver." Ya know, I think this Jon Hamm fella might have a long career outside of Don Draper. He plays a psycho hell bent on revenge pretty well. Movie was pretty good, turned out differently than I expected, but ultimately hung together well. Now I've gotta get the soundtrack.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Less Than Zero.

That movie did not age well at all. Cocaine is bad, mmmkay?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That book was tremendous though (movie not so much.) Hard to tell what was the worse adaptation, Less than Zero or Bright Lights Big City (Bright Lights because MJ Fox as a coke head just never worked).

Watched Office Christmas Party this weekend for kicks; Jason Bateman is one of my favorites, he just looks funny to me. Had some LOL moments. Some very crude ones as well. That Ms. McKinnon from SNL is the next funny woman in cinema.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"The Founder," which stars Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, in the beginning stages of building the McDonald's empire.

Enjoyable film with a few funny details (the scene where future wife Joan Smith makes her first appearance in Kroc's life, for example) amid the overall message: Having great innovations and ideas isn't what makes money in capitalism. It's how you exploit and hustle those ideas. The McDonald brothers learned that the hard way.

6. The Great Wall.
    Reviews weren't good, but my 9-year-old wanted to see it.
    I liked it. Solid 2-hour adventure flick. It's No Bourne, but it ain't the Wild Wild West either.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I had an enjoyable time but the movie left me just ever-so-slightly underwhelmed. Oddly enough, despite the huge, sweeping shots, I never got the sense of the true size of the escape; in some ways, the enormous scope of the beach scenes worked against themselves, because Nolan showed us lots of sand and lots of sea and lots of horizons, but rarely did we see 300,000 soldiers and 63,000 tanks on the beach (in fact, the materiel left behind was of enormous consequence to the British war cause). It's definitely a big-screen movie!

One note: I don't recall another WWII European theater movie that featured exactly zero German soldiers*

*A couple do appear in silhouette in a concluding scene, but not really on-camera.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Watched The Pelican Brief again Tuesday. It hit me during the D.C. bar scene ... Sam Shepard and John Heard died a week apart.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's a good point, didn't really get a sense of the soldiers and tanks except for them queing up on the beach to be picked up.

Didn't see any Germans is spot on too, only heard their shots and saw their planes. French really did an amazing job of holding the Germans off.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched Alien: Covenant and enjoyed it. It's a solid second act in the current trilogy, though the ending was telegraphed pretty easily.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Doesn't the viability of the business depend on people not actually going to the theater, though? The business plan is the same as gyms, right? Hope a bunch of people sign up for recurring payments and then are too lazy to use the service.

Draft saved Draft deleted