1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Brie Larson is not a good actor?? Um, what?

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Just saw Table 19, a 2016 indie-lite flick that - finally! I can't tell how long we were waiting with bated breath - came out over here in London.

Anna Kendrick plays a young woman who attends the wedding reception of a childhood friend.... whose brother dumped her as his girlfriend two months before. While there, she gets seated at the eponymous table with a whole bunch of afterthought guests. The bride's first nanny. Stephen Merchant, as the goofy, estranged ex-con cousin. A hilariously awkward teenage kid asked as a favor to his mother. Etc. etc.

It was better than expected. Some pretty good performances. A few actually unexpected twists. But the cast of characters is so annoyingly quirky and cute they might as well been played by Muppets.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Bored on a Saturday afternoon. Watching "The Breakfast Club" and IMDBing the cast.

Had absolutely no idea that Paul Gleason, the principal with Barry Manilow's wardrobe, played football at Florida State.

Found this in the archives. BC2 with an sj.com cast: Breakfast Club II

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Blown Away is on some HD sub-channel and i can't believe any of the people involved are proud of their participation. U2 should be the most upset, for the way in which its songs are used.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Better prison movie

Shawshank or Cool Hand Luke?

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Shawshank sucks. Cool Hand Luke could have been surveillance video of prisoners walking to dinner and it would be better.

7. bigpern23

Saw Passengers recently and I thought it was in no way deserving of its abysmal Rotten Tomatoes score. I rather enjoyed it. The visuals were incredibly well done, Pratt and Lawrence had good chemistry. It was good, not great, science fiction. I think it was a victim of bad marketing. The line in the trailer about how "There's a reason they woke us up early" hinted at something sinister that never materialized in the final cut of the film. I think it changed people's expectations and audiences didn't appreciate it for what it was.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Cool Hand Luke' > 'Shawshank Redemption'

heyabbott likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Great 420 movie IMG_0878.JPG

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bad marketing, yes.

Also: Space movie competing with Rogue One.

Also: I already saw The Martian/Arrival/etc (it's nothing like those movies, I know)

Personally, I think the issue is: Critics were offended by Lawrence's response to what Pratt's character did - specifically her two choices at the end of the movie, because it suggests, essentially, that Pratt's character is not solely a villain.

Here's a little snippet from a critical piece. (Big spoilers in the link, vague ones here):

Passengers’ big reveal is terrible

"Murder is 1,000 percent the right word for what Jim’s done. Because he’s got the hots for this random girl, he chooses to rope her into his own personal hell to make things a little bit more comfortable for himself."

11. bigpern23

I don't disagree with that snippet (haven't read the whole thing just yet), however, I think that's what makes the film so interesting and that's very specifically why it is good science fiction. I found myself sympathizing with the decision Jim made. I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing in his circumstance. And he struggles with it, deservedly so.

They did a nice job redeeming him and showing how Jennifer Lawrence could ultimately forgive an unforgivable act and remain in love with him. That was a tricky thing to accomplish in a 2-hour movie, and I thought they did it well.

My wife and I wondered why they never had children. I thought that would have been cool if, at the end, when everyone awoke, they found a 60-something man and woman already awake. The viewer thinks its Jim and Aurora, only to discover their names are Frank and Alice, or something, because they're the offspring of the two passengers. That way, in a sense, they would have "made it" to Earth 2 (or whatever they called the planet).

Oh, and as someone who sees a hell of a lot of kids movies these days, I appreciated the Sleeping Beauty reference by naming Lawrence's character Aurora.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Saw two weirdly linked films yesterday.

The Handmaiden is a 2016 foreign thriller set during the Japanese occupation of Korea. A con-woman tries to help a minor crime boss marry a lonely young heiress for her fortune. Two out of the three leads are women but any sense of female agency pales besides all the gratuitous, explicit lesbian sex scenes. You get the feeling that Paul Verhoeven rejected the screenplay as being a bit too much....

Rules Don't Apply is the Warren Beatty dramedy about Howard Hughes and Hollywood in the late 1950s. Lily Collins plays a twentysomething starlet who drifts into his orbit as he slowly and quite publicly descends into a quirky - and admittedly sometimes very amusing - sort of madness. She is the manic pixie dream girl, retro 1959 model. That being said, she also is spectacularly charming. So that's a small advance, I suppose, over the bland cookie-cutter roles of wife/girlfriend so many actresses have to play these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted