1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Your recommendation put "Meru" to the top of my watch list and I'm glad it did. Holy smokes that was a great documentary. The things those guys went through, during the ascent and in life in general, was pretty amazing. Also, I own a 4K TV, for which there is not a lot of streaming content, and this simply looked incredible on it. Some of the shots, particularly from the summit, are just breathtaking.

I thought including Krakauer was a master stroke because he was able to act almost as a bridge between the viewer and the climbers. He knows so much about them and what it takes to make a climb like that, but he's able to articulate it so well to someone who has never climbed.

Great film.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

OK, I forgot about 'The Night Listener.' That was a really good movie.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The 13th...a documentary on Netflix that argues the 13th Amendment - which outlaws slavery but still allows incerceration for crimes, which triggers the argument that incerceration became the new slavery. Affecting and well-made. Not sure I fully agree with the premise - and I'm no fan of our prison system/mandatory minimums/etc.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Saw "Manchester by the Sea" last weekend. Small film that was presented in a fabulous manner without any Hollywood cliches. Gut wrenching. I really enjoy watching Casey Affleck. Michelle Williams has a nice turn as well.

5. Let the Right One In ... Good. Not as good as I expected or had heard. But It held my interest.

XMen Apocalypse ... Way better than I expected. I had low expectations on this. They were exceeded. Its a good standalone movie. I hate the reboot shit. Sensa Stark is waaay hotter in this movie than GOT.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I loved 'Let the Right One In.'

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Whew. Saw it today. Very well done. But yeah, really emotionally draining. Affleck was excellent. Sure to be nominated. He played "emotionally dead" just right.

I'd nominate the kid who played Patrick for best supporting. That was a tough role. He was fantastic.

8. bigpern23

I agree with your assessment of X-Men pretty much completely (I'm cool with reboots - they can breathe new life into a tired franchise).

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rogue One. 3rd best Star Wars movie. Best Star Wars action movie

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Saw Rogue One (which was entertaining) but the most important discovery was ......LUXURY RECLINING SEATS AT THE THEATER!!

Have you tried this set up? Amazing luxurious accommodations for watching a movie, the best ever. I'm going here from now on (and not any more expensive than the other cineplex experiences.)

Ace and heyabbott like this.
  11. bigpern23

My local cineplex finally has a full bar in the concession area. It was an enjoyable experience sipping a Scotch while watching Rogue One on the big screen.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tonight ... free pass to Passengers. Should I pass? Fewer people saying good things about it than the snowstorm a couple weekends where it took plenty of folks two hours to drive a mile.

Draft saved Draft deleted