1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Hulu has all the Bond movies, but they're expiring soon. I'm re-watching the Brosnan films from my high school/college days. GoldenEye was the first Bond I saw in the theater.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Never seen any of the Bond flicks, other than bits and pieces while channel surfing.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Tootsie on TCM last night. I confess a weakness for the movie.
    It's smart, it's sweet and it's the best gender comedy ever, IMO.
    Also a great snapshot of New York City in the early 80s.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Plus good on Bill Murray for taking a supporting role in a great movie in between Stripes and Ghostbusters. I'm sure he had people at the time telling him he needed to be the lead.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched the live-action version of "The Jungle Book" this weekend and loved it. The green screens were obvious in a few places, but overall the CGI was incredibly well done. The animals - Shear Khan, in particular - looked amazing. Shear Khan, voiced by Idris Elba, was one of the best villains I've seen in recent memory. If there's been a better villain since Heath Ledger's Joker, I'm forgetting it.

It was also really well cast. Scarlett was an inspired choice to play Kaa, and Bill Murray (Baloo), Ben Kingsley (Magira) and Christopher Walken (King Louie) were spot-on perfect. I'm not saying nobody else could have played those roles, but it's hard to imagine anyone doing them better.

It might be my favorite movie I've seen that was released this year.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

True, but the person who selected that movie for the evening is in the target demo, and she didn't like it either.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Good Morning, Vietnam" a couple of nights ago. No, seriously. I'd seen parts of it, but never the whole movie. Funny enough, but no gut-busting laughs. It seems like it wanted to be funny but explore serious issues surrounding the war, and it didn't do either well enough to get a repeat viewing.

"Gremlins." Pretty much god-awful, from the premise to the plot to the acting. Phoebe Cates needed to be wearing a lot less clothing. And, good god, the fake snow was abysmal.

"Meru." Documentary about three climbers who attempt to be the first to summit 21,000-feet Mount Meru in India. The Shark's Fin, a 1,500-foot sheer granite wall at the top of the mountain, had repelled all attempts. Just breathtaking photography and filming by one of the climbers, Jimmy Chin.

From the film website: "In the high-stakes game of big-wall climbing, the Shark’s Fin on Mount Meru may be the ultimate prize. Sitting at the headwaters of the sacred Ganges River in Northern India, the Shark’s Fin has seen more failed attempts by elite climbing teams over the past 30 years than any other ascent in the Himalayas." Highly recommended.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never seen 'Good Morning, Vietnam.' Never really wanted to see it.
    Seemed very popular when I was in my late teens, though.

I am not a Robin Williams fan. I just never liked most of his work.
    I liked 'Moscow on the Hudson,' and 'The Fisher King' was one of my favorite movies for a long time.
    Mostly, though, not a fan.

9. Williams is hardly must-see for me. But Hook is one of my all-time favorite movies.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What Dreams May Come is a criminally underrated Robin Williams movie.

TigerVols likes this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thought he was great in World's Best Dad.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I loved "Good Morning Vietnam," though maybe it hasn't aged well. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember laughing out loud quite a bit. Bruno Kirby was outstanding as the stiff sergeant and I thought Williams was perfect in his bombast and his sweetness.

I've had "Meru" in my watchlist on Amazon Prime for almost a year, but haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to check it out soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted