1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

American Honey. Actually not too bad, brilliant in parts, but wow. What a dark little film. And dark in a way that makes it good, in that realistically explores how desperate things are getting today in America.

Worth a look if you're interested (and have got the time, it's almost three hours) but it's the opposite of a guaranteed fun time.

(Oh, and Shia stank.)

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Went to Magnificent Seven in the theatre for my boy (would not watch Seven Samurai in home); not bad, entertaining.

Rainy day yesterday so we turned on Interstellar; wow that movie is so complex and provoking. Really enjoyable.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watched Wolf of Wall Street again last night.
    My gracious, is Margot Robbie smoking hot or what?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Straight Outta Compton' = was pretty good. Not as good as it was made out to be, but good.
    'Heart of the Sea' = terrible. I don't even understand the point of this movie. Melville based his novel on multiple accounts of multiple incidents and fictionalized them. Ron Howard took one incident and fictionalized it.
    'Victor Frankenstein' = turned it off. It was too stupid.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Girl on the Train

Decent movie that doesn't give away the ending 15 minutes into the film and has plenty of red herrings to keep you interested to see which play out. But it has a few plot holes and tangents that should have factored more into the story than it did. Some of the acting is a little much. It tries too hard to be Gone Girl and doesn't measure up. Still worth a view on a rainy afternoon.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like Emily Blunt.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The Wrestler just to see Tomei naked. Joined in progress and only saw her topless.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just re-watched the Hunt for Red October last night. I've always liked the movie, but have always held that the book was so much better. In the book, you have this period of time after the Americans get on the Russian sub where the two crews are kind of getting used to each other — like the Russians relating to the black sonar man. They weren't attacked until they were almost pulling into the river in Maine. It also has the evacuated Russians getting their first look at America. Totally omitted from the movie, and overall the movie suffers because of it.

Liut likes this.
  9. Finally caught Spectre.

Stale.

As soon as they introduced Andrew Scott on screen was there any doubt he was a bad guy?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Saw Jack Reacher/Never Go Back last weekend, an enjoyable experience with low expectations. Cobie Smothers is cute. Cruise wasn't blatantly bad.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Saw Dr. Strange this afternoon. Excellent, highly recommended. Of all the Marvel movies, this is the one that most resembled the (very weird) visuals of the original comic, and of course, Benedict Cumberbatch and Tilda Swanton can't be bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted