1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Kind of excited about this ... A thriller movie from Jordan Peele. Looks pretty good.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I tried, I really tried to sit through the final "Hunger Games" movie. Good grief, it's like the Hobbit with urban blight and no pretty men with lovely accents. I made it to the one hour mark before it occurred to be that I actually cared more about the characters in "Cold Mountain" who were not Renee Zellwegger as Ado Annie than I did Katniss, Peeta, and every other creatively named cardboard standup in "Mockingjay 2."

Ace likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's excellent.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just watched part of The Martian again.

I realized I far preferred Interstellar. The one sequence in Interstellar - before they land on the gravity planet, during and after - is more interesting and moving than the whole of The Martian.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I recently caught The Martian again and saw Interstellar again a couple of months ago. Interstellar just loses way too much steam for me and goes off the rails with perhaps the most unplausible ending ever. I much prefer the Martian.

Honest Trailers pretty much nails why I don't like Interstellar.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Really hope this lives up to the book.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not discussing the content of the film because I haven't seen it, but it finished sixth at the box office for its opening weekend and is well on its way to being an abysmal bomb. Sounds like rape allegations against Parker from years ago have hijacked any momentum it had after Sundance and will ultimately cost Fox Searchlight a shitload of money. They put more marketing dollars behind this film than any Sundance winner in history.

It's at 77 percent on RottenTomatoes, which is OK, but I'm not sure it's indicative of an Oscar darling.

It does look very good, though.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Dakota Fanning is a good pick for that role.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The two NPR reviews I have heard (Fresh Air and ATC) popped the balloon of the pre-release hype. Both thought the movie was overdone.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'The Man from Earth' = not good
    'Downfall' = excellent
    'Fantastic Four' = really bad

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Holy crap that looks good.

To Alma's point, Dakota Fanning is a good pick for any role. I've been saying since "I Am Sam" (which is not a great movie) that she will win an Oscar and I stand by it. I just think she's fantastic.

And amazingly enough, her sister Elle may be even better. Have any siblings ever won Best Actress/Actor Oscars? If not, I'd put money on those two to be the first.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Absolutely loved that movie, but it's my type of film. Loved the dialogue and the discussion, especially the philosophical parts. The possibility of such a thing is very intriguing to me.

They're making a sequel, I think I read elsewhere online it is filming soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted