1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you’ve watched at a drive-in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 1, 2021.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Probably would have been some bad horror triple bill in the early 80s. Did a lot of those in high school.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The all-night drive-in kicked off the summer and ended it. Many beers were drunk, many fights were seen, many beers were drunk.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Oh, many a young beer always lost a young and promising life at the drive-in.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Legal Eagles. Sometime in the 90s. I don't remember the year. A friend borrowed her dad's van and there were three (?) four (?) of us and our dogs having what was probably the tamest girls' night out ever. My sheepdawg/beardie kept finding windows to poke his head out of and say, "Hai!" to neighbors. Lucky for him, he was very cute.
    oneill (1).jpg

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"A League of Their Own" and "Honeymoon in Vegas" (outstanding double feature, BTW) in a San Diego drive-in in 1992. That was the first time I was at one where we got the audio through our car radio instead of the ancient speakers.
    Before that, I would see a few of them at my hometown drive-in (That's where I first saw "Back to the Future"). That place closed down years ago, but the screen is still up and looks every bit its age. Driving by you can see the weeds and vegetation growing around the deserted snack bar/projection building, and a recycling business is operating in one end of the lot. It's pretty sad actually. I wish they would just tear it down.
    We have one still in operation in the next town over, about 25 miles away, and my sister and brother-in-law take their kids there once in a while.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

There used to be one of those “adult” drive-ins near me that was visible for about four seconds on the Interstate as we drove to my grandmother’s house in the late 1980s. Does that count?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's a drive-in about 45 minutes from my home. We went a few times for kid movies in the early 2010s, had a fun time and it was cheaper to see than a regular movie (Like $7 per adult and $3 a kid). This past summer, with all that's going on, we went to see Bill and Ted Face the Music, and enjoyed a night out.

8. swingline

In St. Charles, Mo., there was a XXX drive-in along one of the main drags in town in the 1970s. You couldn't see the screen at all when driving by.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

There was one about 45 minutes from where I grew up, which was also close to a state park and camp ground. An old girlfriend and I would do a weekend camping trip and go to the drive-in one night.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

From the road it was on and surrounding ones, it was screened. The interstate was about two miles away and higher up. There was a gap in the mountain that gave full view.

11. swingline

I imagine a 50-foot penis would be all kinds of frightening.

Draft saved Draft deleted