1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you’ve watched at a drive-in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Just a fun little thread. Not sure if drive-in movies are popular in your area, or were at one time. Do you remember the last movie you watched at a drive-in?

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We went to one in vacation in NH five years ago or so and I have no memory of what we saw. But it was fun.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Star Wars.
    Newport, Rhode Island.
    July 1977.

Liut likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Damn. This is a great question. We had a drive-in close to us when I was a kid. Went a lot.

I honestly don’t remember the last one. I *think* I went once or twice in college but don’t recall the flick/flicks.

I do have a vivid childhood memory of seeing a drive-in double feature of The Jungle Book and Star Trek II.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Easy Rider and Joe. Double-feature in 1970 or so.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They sprung up over Corona time. Took the kids to Karate Kid; didn't really hold up. Then Sonic the Hedgehog, which was an experience. I had a Zoom meeting in the middle, so maybe it was my fault for missing a chunk, but I don't think so.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Wall-E and Get Smart double-header in Indiana.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For some unknown reason, I have a recollection of seeing Jaws at a drive-in when I was just a wee lad.

Liut likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Never.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There is a really good one in the country close to my metro area and they are wildly successful.

They close the gates (sold out) many nights and I think they are now up to three screens. Almost every movie they show is current. They have playgrounds for the kiddos and a retro concession stand that does not gouge you. There is a very reasonable carload rate. I think they do Thursday-Sunday.

Their only strict rule is you can’t bring in a cooler.

Honestly, if there is not one near you, open one up. It’s like printing money.

Liut likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Lara Croft with Jolie as the title character, back in 2002 or '03. That movie sucked ass, even more than the mosquitos that ate us up.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yep. Caught Despicable Me with the daughter last summer. Strangely neither of us had seen it before, even though she practically has DM2 memorized.

Draft saved Draft deleted