1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last-minute Seattle travel advice, we're going this week!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Re: Seattle travel advice

I recommend taking in a Sonics game.

2. Wallace

Wallace Guest

*Seriously, go to Red Mill. Worth the wait. Make sure to order some onion rings.

*Beth's is awesome but there is usually a long wait, so make sure to arrive early or at least be prepared to stand around for a while.

*The Tap House has all sorts of awesome beers and is definitely a good place to check out. Or you could always stop by Rock Bottom, they have some pretty good beers that they brew and pretty good chow. Try the chicken macaroni cheese and a ballpark pretzel there. You won't be disappointed.

*Not sure how adventurous you all are, but if you drive out of Seattle on I90 and head out towards North Bend (about a 20 minute drive without traffic), there's lots of fun trails and such to roam around. Climb Mount Si for a great view.

*The ferries are fun just to see the sites.

*Also, this may sound a little touristy, but I have lived here most my life and still enjoyed it: Ride the Duck tour. It's near the Space Needle and it's one of those tour car/boats that takes you through the city and then out onto Lake Union. You learn a lot of cool things and on a nice day, the Lake Union jaunt is awesome. Kinda spendy if I remember right, maybe $22-$25 a person, but I thought it was well worth it.

*Second the notion on Top Pot Doughnuts. They're irresistable, just ask Golden Tate: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5265276

*EMP is fun if you are a big music fan. There's also a Science Fiction Museum there, I've never gone in it but I've heard if you are into that sort of thing it's a pretty fun experience.

*Pike Place is one of those things you have to do. See the gum wall down there as well and snap a photo - trust me just ask someone where it is and they'll point you in the right direction.

*Head down to the waterfront near the ferry terminal and have a breadbowl clam chowder from Ivar's.

*See a Mariner's game. Yeah, they're dreadful but Safeco is an awesome stadium.

*Check out Alki Beach in West Seattle. On a nice day, it's a great spot.

If you have any other questions shoot me a PM!

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

In the food category:

I second and third everything that has been said about Top Pot. A wake-up must.

I'm partial to the Home of Good Barbecue (get the brisket, with hot sauce and a side of hot sauce) on Yesler (I think).

The Lunchbox Lab in Ballard has insane, delicious hamburgers.

Walk around. Take buses if necessary. A rental is unnecessary.

Alki Beach is nice for walking, and passing through West Seattle affords spectacular city views.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Good news on the Beth's wait: There are video games and pinball machines to bide your time.

Or nap on.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Find out if Pete Carroll will be signing copies of 'Win Forever' while you're in town.

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Beth's is not that special - its biggest draw is that it is open 24 hours. It is a good place to see an eclectic mix of people and good to just people watch.

But the customer service is lousy and the food is average.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But the wall decor is top-notch.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I forgot about that place. Top notch cheap eats.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Is it wrong that every time I see this Seattle thread right above the EX whatever thread, my eyes read 'Sexual Travel Advice'?

That would be a great thread.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We did the hotel and plane planning today. Getting excited. We'll be there four full days.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So you're not Harry Doyle after all. You're Jack Sikma ...

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I was told outing wasn't cool...

Besides, you're not even close. I'm actually Howard Schultz.

Draft saved Draft deleted