1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last-minute Seattle travel advice, we're going this week!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Re: Seattle travel advice

I thought it was really overpriced.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Tap House if you want a nice restaurant. They've got more than 150 beers on tap, IIRC, and it's only a block or two from the Washington State Convention Center and the Sheraton. And there's a pretty decent bistro-type place in Pike Place, which is really cool. I was with a group when I went and we took a dinner cruise on Elliot Bay, which is fairly scenic at night.

If you don't mind spending $18 (which I did), the Space Needle is pretty cool, great views from up there. You can make a reservation for the restaurant and ride up for free, but they're going to expect you to eat up there.

An added bonus: The Science Fiction Museum is next door to the Space Needle, as is a stadium which I've yet to identify.

My biggest regret: I was there five days and never saw Mount Rainier. I'm told it's covered in clouds about three days out of every five. Good luck with that.

If you like Starbucks, you'll love Seattle, but the locals seem to prefer any number of smaller coffee houses. I'd just close my eyes and put my finger down in the yellow pages, then go there for coffee.

I think the bookstore was Elliot Bay Books. And Wicked is right about both the donuts and the hills. There is this bakery a couple doors down from the original starbucks that is simply awesome. It's Polish or Russian or Latvian, but you'll know it from the smell. Might be the best-smelling place I have ever been.

That's all I've got. Take some comfortable shoes and a parka.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Great city, and no, you definitely don't need a car. Pike Place Market is a fantastic way to kill a few hours. (Get a bag of mini-donuts from the vendor on the top floor. Trust me on this.)

Down the hill to the south is Pioneer Square. Elliot Bay Books is there, along with the Seattle Mystery Bookstore, which is terrific if you're into that. I believe the Ebbet's Field store is down there two, along with the two stadiums. It's all within walking distance.

There's a big shopping mall downtown with a monorail station -- the monorail just runs between the mall and the Seattle Center, which is home to the Space Needle and EMF.

One of my favorite cities. My wife and I honeymooned there, at the Inn at the Market. Love it there.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just visited there a couple weeks ago, Two Gloves.

Everyone is dead on about the car, especially if your hotel is downtown or near the Seattle Center. You won't need one.

If you're near the Space Needle/Seattle Center, there's a whole bunch of great Thai/Asian restaurants just north of there, on Roy Street. And in general, there's great eats (and one cool old record store) in the "lower Queen Anne" neighborhood, just west and north of Key Arena.

Also recommended: a ferry ride across to Bainbridge Island. But be warned, if you don't take a car, you're pretty much confined to the downtown shopping district (my wife liked that, but I'm not much of a shopper). And if you'd rather beachcomb, the good beaches are a ways away from the downtown. You'll need to rent a bike on the island.

Overall, a great walking city with some very cool stuff to see (and eat). Have fun!

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggesions coming if you have 'em. I'm going to start a notebook on what to do.

6. Re: Seattle travel advice

Top Pot is freaking awesome. They make all of their donuts on site as far as I can remember. You have to also get an italian soda there, too. Pike Place is also very cool. If you can go to Mt. Ranier for a day of hiking, I seriously recommend it. I went up there and it was just amazingly beautiful. Everywhere we went was accessible by walking or bus. Safeco is also awesome. It has an amazing view of the skyline as well as Mt. Ranier in the background. I can't wait to go back one day. I hope you have a blast.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Red Mill Burgers. That is all.

http://www.redmillburgers.com/

Ok, it's not all.

If you're heading to a M's game, hit Sluggers almost right across from Qwest Field.

Oh, and try the garlic fries at Safeco.

8. maberger

maberger Member

here...

http://www.thebrooklyn.com/

and here ...

http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Elliott Bay Bookstore (on 2nd Street I think?) is fantastic.

Ebbetts Field Flannels is the baseball place, I think it's on Occidental on Pioneer Square, just nort of Qwest Field/Safeco Field.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The Experience Music Project or whatever it is called now is a seriously great museum. I was there abut 10 years ago and it definitely was head and shoulders above anything the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame had to offer.

If you have the time, see a movie at the Cinerama downtown. It's real old school, but it has one of the last remaining 70mm projection units on the planet. It plays mostly modern films now, but if one of those old 70mm movies are playing I'd definitely check it out.

11. Re: Seattle travel advice

FYI, Elliott Bay Books recently moved out of its long-time Pioneer Square location (not enough business) and has re-opened on Capitol Hill (1521 10th Avenue). Still worth checking out.

12. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

If you are in Seattle, don't go to Starbucks. You can get that almost any place. I'd go to a specialty place and there are many downtown just ask.

Also, if you get to Queen Anne, try 5 Spot (1502 Queen Anne Ave. N) for breakfast or a late-night meal. They are $5 from 10 p.m. to midnight closing. http://www.chowfoods.com/five/

Draft saved Draft deleted