1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last-minute Seattle travel advice, we're going this week!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Aug 3, 2010.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

OK, my girlfriend is heading to a conference in Seattle next month and I get to tag along. Anybody got any advice on things to see and things that might be overrated? I know there's a thread on the 2008 SportsJournalists.com gathering but it's 71 pages and I really don't want to go through all that. Any advice on attractions or restaurants would be great. We're staying at the Seattle Sheraton which I believe is part of the convention center. I was told not to get a rental car because parking is brutal. True? Thanks in advance.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Re: Seattle travel advice

If you wanna see downtown, the waterfront, Seattle Center and such, don't get a rental car, you can get around the downtown area easily on foot or by bus (the area is part of the Metro ride free zones). If you wanna see other parts of the city a car may not be a bad idea, but parking can be a bitch.

The Market is great, the waterfront is fun to walk around if the weather is nice.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Pike Place. You can waste a few hours checking stuff out there, and if you care enough about Starbucks, you can find the original in there.

Ferry to Bainbridge Island on a nice day. You can spend a couple hours poking in some neat little shops.

The Music Experience.

Your arteries will hate you for stopping at a Top Pot Doughnut shop, but you really should.

Ivar's.

Just off the top of my head.

FYI, the hills suck, so if you stay uphill from the waterfront, I'd suggest a cab on the way back.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Beth's. Get the 12-egg omelet.

Apparently you should feed the moose, though I slept through that part. :D

Drink some Manny's for me.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I believe the Pyramid brewery is right across from Safeco -- another option to hit up.

6. imjustagirl

Oh...and order a few West Nile Viruses.

Dip and taste! You'll like it!

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're a coffee drinker, some of the best coffee roasters/espresso shops are in Seattle.

Try Vivace & Victrola to start.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You get those at Beth's? What is it?

9. imjustagirl

No, you get it at a bar. They say it's one part Bailey's, one part Jager and one part creme de menthe, but I do 1/2 part Jager. It's too overpowering otherwise.

Tastes like grasshopper cookies. I can't remember the second bar we went to (It was long and narrow, maybe someone else from the outing can weigh in) but the bartender made me like 8 shots at a time in a lowball glass.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I'm probably in the minority in thinking this, but, EMP is the most overrated thing in Seattle (aside from the Sounders).

11. imjustagirl

I can't call it overrated because I didn't go (that's when I slept in and they fed the moose). But I had zero interest in it.

Everyone who went loved it, though. I think it depends on what kind of music you like.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What was the name of the area we went with the cool bookstores and that small shop with the old baseball uniforms?
    Anyway, go there. Go to a game at Safeco, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted