1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last hurrah for Lena Dunham's website

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 19, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You know who woulda loved this.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Reuben?

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

As someone who has endured my fair share of abdominal pain, my empathy goes out to Ms. Dunham, because she has obviously suffered. As for the issue of her newsletter, I feel mean saying it, but I never felt as though her fame was or is sustainable. Girls seems to me more like a comet than a planet.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Oversharing is not a sustainable career path when you're just not that interesting.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"I'll take incredibly obvious predictions for $500, Alex."

I don't like to say negative things about Hillary, not because I like her, or think she is great, but because it just feeds Trump trolls; that said, what fucking cosmos must one live on to think making Lena Dunham the celebrity face of your election campaign was a good idea??

OscarMadison and Stoney like this.
  8. typefitter

I feel like the thinking probably was, by standing next to this radically honest person, I, too, will appear honest. But she's also super polarizing, which you have to have taken into account. Like, you can find honest people whom everybody likes. Terry Crews comes to mind. He's totally open. Nobody hates Terry Crews.

9. typefitter

Or once you've shared everything. Or the instant it appears as though you're hiding something.

It's the number one truth about writing memoir: The instant the reader sniffs a falsehood, you've lost them in a way that you can never correct.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have never understood why Lena Dunham was a thing.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That was probably the feeling in their camp. But I never got the feeling she was totally honest. At all. Just weird. And not likable.

Terry Crews would have been a GREAT spokesperson. Is he available for 2020?

OscarMadison and typefitter like this.
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

GIRLS has some good writing, if you take the position that Dunham and Hannah Horvath were different people, and that she was purposefully made her own character extremely narcissistic and awful to make a point about her own shallow generation of dipshits living in Brooklyn.

What became harder to do was separate the two, particularly when Dunham repeatedly did really shallow, narcissistic stuff, like think that Odell Beckham Jr. didn't want to fuck her because of what she looked like, when in fact what was going on was some real racist and narcissistic projection, wrapped in the bizarre need to share every thought on social media.

She did have some interesting insights into female friendships for millennials, but man, it was a brutal ride.

lcjjdnh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted