1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last go round for Arnie?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 3, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) — Arnold Palmer will tee it up in the Masters again, but only for one ceremonial swing.
    The four-time Masters champion, who played for the 50th and final time three years ago, will hit the opening tee shot Thursday and become the seventh honorary starter in tournament history.
    “The time has come,” Palmer said Tuesday, wearing his member’s green jacket.
    Palmer was cool to the idea of being an honorary starter when he stopped playing the Masters in 2004, but dropped hints last month at Bay Hill that he would seriously consider it under new chairman Billy Payne.
    Jock Hutchison and Fred McLeod were the first honorary starters in 1963. Byron Nelson and Gene Sarazen started doing it in 1981, with Ken Venturi filling in for Nelson for one year in 1983. Sam Snead joined Nelson and Sarazen in 1984.
    Snead in 2002 was the last honorary starter; he died a month later.
    So what happens if Palmer rips one down the middle? Would he be tempted to keep going?
    Palmer grinned.
    “I’m not too smart,” he said. “But I’m not stupid. I think I’ll just let it go, wherever it goes.”

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Last go round how?

He stopped playing the tournament in 2004. This is his first stint as honorary starter.

What are you talking about?

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Ijag calls shotgun.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Deep_Bootsground?

5. boots

boots New Member

Damn, you don't get it do ya?
    Snead in 2002 was the last honorary starter; he died a month later.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So one honorary starter dies, four days shy of 90, and you think every subsequent one will?

Genius, you are.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

:eek: ::) You're right in my case. I didn't get it. And now that I do, I'm not fond of it. Arnie gave me the best interview I ever had while he was grinding away on a putter. I'd like to think he has a few years left.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Arnie will be the last one for a while. I'll eat a sand wedge (even an open-faced one) if Nicklaus ever decides to do that.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

What about Player? He's a sucker for ceremony, likes being in the public eye, and will be hitting it as long as he can stand. Only problem is, he sees himself as too young for that role at present.

Man, I miss Sarazen in those knickers...

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I bet the poor shlub standing 50 yards down and to the right of Sarazen didn't miss that weak tee shot in his teeth.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Arnie will outlive all of us by 30 years and still have a great tan.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hootie sending Arnie a letter letting him no that his presence would no longer be welcome in the tournament in 2002 wasn't exactly the best way to talk him into being a ceremonial starter. Ultimately I'd loveto see him, Nicklaus and Player, but I think the latter to have too much pride.

Draft saved Draft deleted