1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last day on the job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It was "Fuck you TJ." And it's worth noting that the culprit went on to have an excellent career, not quite TJ level, but long stints as a top writer on two of the nation's largest and best sports sections.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

I'd have to say that's not quite true. I knew a few of those people. He had his fans, though they were outnumbered.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks for the correction, frank. and yes, the reporter has had quite a nice career. as has t.j., who readily admits he was a dick at that time.

4. ogre

ogre Member

In general I agree with this. Although I will say that bridges attach to two pieces of land and these folks here, don't have enough reach to touch their toes.

My doctor recently promised me that I wasn't going to die.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

very few fans, and those were people he brought in or promoted. Maybe some of them came to accept him, but he was a jerk then and his writing shows the sort of self-centered phony baloney that he is. One of those people is a sports editor at one of the top newspapers in the US, two others are lead columnists for their sport at a top New York sports section, there is the person referenced above, and some other people. All are more accomplished, if not as famous or popular on this board, as TJ Simers.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In the 17 years I've been at the paper I'm at now, every exit has been a peaceful one, and more than half the time the staff and exiting employee gather at a local restaurant a couple of days later (or a couple of days before) for a going away party.

Story about someone that left the paper a few years before I was hired. He was compiling the agate for the agate page for his last shift and inserted himself into Transactions. He added a category newspapers and inserted a line that read something like: DAILY PLANET - Announced the resignation of John Doe (or it might have been DAILY PLANET - Released John Doe).

7. Frank_Ridgeway

I said they were outnumbered. But without dragging other people by name into this, I have known some from that era who had a dissenting viewpoint. And they're pretty good journalists, too.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can see how a little T.J. could go a long way, but just because you were despised doesn't mean you weren't good at your job.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

never said t.j. wasn't good. i really wouldn't know. i only know him from his writing days -- as well as the guy who wrote the "fucj you t.j." column. all i know is you don't have to be a prick to be a good s.e and he'll be the first to admit now he was a prick. he was young and thought that's how he had to be.

i would imagine the people he hired or promoted were fans, to a extent. but even t.j. admits he was a prick and would've hated working for himself. ;D

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Had a writer once get another job midseason and since the head coach of one of my major sports was a real piece of work, he decided to take a good shot at him following his last game.

The head coach had a habit of answering questions post-game for a couple of minutes and then insisting on going off the record by telling the media member or three gathered, "pens down." When this happened following the final game, the outgoing writer slammed his pen into the ground, stood up from his seat and stormed out of the meeting room, muttering four-letter words under his breath about "being tired of putting up with this shit."

Everybody managed to keep from laughing, though the scene remains one of the highlights of my career.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The publisher's hot 19-year-old daughter.

On the publisher's desk.

Preferably, in the evening when there's people in the building putting the paper out (but not in the office watching).

:D

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

That's pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted