1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last day on the job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, Aug 14, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

In the home stretch here, four shifts to go, so I wanted to ask the distinguished pannel of experts about their worst exits from the job.

p.s. leave your insurance cards on the desk before you leave
  2. joe

joe Active Member

I don't know. Going-away pussy always seemed pretty good. Maybe I'll have to re-evaluate.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Singing "Onward Christian Soldiers ... "
  4. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

being fired...
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

a group hug and singing "It's a Long Way to Tuipperary"
  6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I've been planning my exit for a couple of weeks now. Plan on dressing up in a nice suit for my last day and smiling all damn day long. Maybe even dance a jig on my way out the office
  7. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

My last day: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out! ...
  8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Don't do that.

And give some thought to the insurance issue. It may be 90 days before your new insurance takes effect in a new job, so it may be worth considering the retention of your coverage via COBRA. Expensive, but it on;y takes one car wreck or heart attack ...
  9. shockey

shockey Active Member

when t.j. simers was the sports ed of a paper in jersey back in the day, he was quite the unpopular young jerk. universally despised.

one of his reporters did a farewell column, legend has it, in which the first letter of the first several paragraphs spelled out:

T.J. SUCKS

it can't get any better than that. ;D ;D ;D
  10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

No matter how bad the place is, no matter what the issues were, if you leave on your own to take another job, just say your goodbyes and walk out the door.

Don't burn a bridge, because you never know who you might have to work with again. It can be a small world.
  11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I liked the scene in Erin Brockovich when Julia Roberts got fired or whatever and as she was walking out the door and everyone was looking at her, she yelled at them to get back to work. That's be sweet.
  12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As I have noted on other threads, I was once working as the editor of a five-day-a-week paper, and while there were some good things about it, the hours sucked, the staff was all inexperienced, and the publisher was a madman.

So I'm trying to escape and I have a job interview in Philadelphia. I check in at the airport, and there was a call for me at the ticket counter (yes, you used to be able to do it).

It was one of my crazy young reporters, and she says, "SF, I don't know if this will affect your job interview, but Publisher just called a staff meeting and announced that you've been fired."

That's how I found out.

I was trying to get out anyway, and had two job offers in the next week, so I was out of work for about 10 days. And the publisher and I actually had a reasonably cordial final meeting.

Paper folded not that long after.
Draft saved Draft deleted