1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Dance For U of Illinois' Chief Illiniwek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon Starman, that's different. He was honoring all those blacks with their natural talent for song and dance.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was gonna post the Jolson but thought it would be way too over the top.

NIce work, Starman. :)

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Cracked me up when ESPN showed a couple girls/young women crying during the last performance. I'm glad that mascot is gone.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The student Chief fans are the biggest dorks, I'm sorry. I'm friends with Illini hoops fans, real ones and recent grads, and they think these fans are idiots, the Chief overrated. Why aren't more fans upset that their shooting guard left their reserve center to die in a car while the point guard didn't do anything to help?

5. accguy

accguy Member

Covered a couple of games there. The first time I saw the whole Chief thing I was just floored.

I was pretty much, "I can't believe they do this."

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

This is the same state that allowed Pekin High School to have a mascot called the "Chinks" all the way into the early 1980s.

Like I said, the dance itself is laughable. The self-importance of the guy is what makes it hysterically funny.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

That was Mike Downey's comment in the Trib today, and it was brilliant.

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

East High Scho
    East High School in Rochester, NY, still uses Orientals as its nickname. It's the alma mater of former Bearcat horse puncher Art Long.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I was in the Akron area a little over a decade ago, Akron East was the Orientals too. Not sure if they still are or not.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Orientals are rugs.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. They changed their names to Asians. Or maybe it was Occidentals. I can't remember which.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Ace is really manky_jimy

Draft saved Draft deleted