1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Dance For U of Illinois' Chief Illiniwek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Feb 19, 2007.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Caving to political correctness, the mascot the University of Illinois has had for 81 years will appear for the last time at the Illini's basketball game Wednesday.

The political correctness gang chalks up another one but not everybody is happy as this article points out.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2007/02/18/chief_portrayer_had_hoped_common_sense_would_win

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Re: Last Dance For U of Illinois' Chief Illniwek

My only regret is that I attended the Braggin' Rights game before that goofy chief was tackled mid-routine.

It's a caricature, but the attempt to pass it off as an authentic dance is laughable. It won't bother me one way or the other if it stays or goes. But the "outcry" from these Illini homers is going to be hilarious.

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

It's only right. If the Big 10 is going to come out with a policy stating that they will not play teams with "offensive" mascots, they probably shouldn't have a school with one of the most offensive mascots in college athletics.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Then they better disqualify themselves from any consideration for the Pontiac game-changing moment, too.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Alum Robert Novak weighs in

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/21/AR2007022101584.html

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/saraceno/2007-02-20-saraceno-illini_x.htm

I thought this column more than hit it out of the park when it comes to the jackasses who always claim political correctness is a bad thing.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So how long until the NCAA tells the University of Illinois it has to change the name of the school because "Illinois" is demeaning to Indians?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good column by Saraceno. I always thought it was a shame that the folks who fuss about "political correctness" and claim that these caricatures honor the noble tributes of the indians weren't alive back in the day to keep the United States from killing them all off in a naked land grab or forcing them to live in sad, sorry reservations.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

The NCAA had also better move its offices out of Indianapolis, Indiana.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And the number of people cited in the article who claim such offense to the Chief? One. The loneliest number.

And the reason Illinois can't keep their mascot, bit Florida State can is:

a. The Seminole tribe gaves its ok, but that's a little hard for Illinois since the Illini tribe was wiped out in its entirety a century ago by the white man, and it's hard to get an attribution from a dead man.
    b. Florida State is/has been a football powerhouse.
    c. Both of the above.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Saraceno column was pretty fair and measured.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted