1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Ok...Netflix. I'm in for another eight episode binge.

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Four episodes in and it's nice to see that Greg Whiteley and his team are realizing that the coach doesn't have to be a raging piece of shit to make for compelling TV. The guys at Laney was good and this basketball coach seems very authentic. I wasn't sure how I would enjoy the switch to basketball, but it's been excellent so far.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Watched a couple of episodes so far. There only seems to be one headcase and even he is self-aware enough to know he's a headcase.

Is this actually a season of Last Chance U?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Virtually all of the coaches I've dealt with on the juco beat were much like the coaches at Laney and East LA, trying to get their current players on to the next level while recruiting players for the next year.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Finished off the ELAC season this afternoon. Very likeable characters and coaches. No torrents of profanity just for profanity's sake, or perhaps that's the difference between football and basketball.

The last episode is a real kick in the gut.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Been reviewing it lately while working. It is first-rate for its genre. There's never been another football drama or movie like it.

It bears mentioning Brown has used this to his advantage. His charges were dropped, he started a cigar and whiskey brand and he's getting Google AdSense from big livecast numbers. Maybe he really is a stone cold hustler like he claimed.

Markiese was the real team-killer in S4.

Draft saved Draft deleted