1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Half way in and enjoying it immensely. I can curse with the best of them but nice not to hear fuck every 10 seconds. These guys seem easy to root for.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Finished it.

I really enjoyed it. That big lineman really out kicked his coverage with that wife.

I cannot imagine Beam sitting in the same room as the other two shit stain coaches from seasons 1-4.

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I finished it last night. Thought it was great. Some might consider it a little boring because it didn't have any of the out-and-out drama you saw at EMCC or Indy, but it was interesting because it showed another side of JC football. These players for the most part were true cast-offs trying to improve their worth; not disgraced D-1 guys making a rehabilitation pit stop on their way to another school.

The featured players were very easy to root for. There were some personality flaws there, but you didn't see the sense of entitlement from players of the previous seasons. I'm really hoping Dior can land a spot with the Rainbow Warriors.

And, finally, how cool was it to see a coach who was a decent human being? Oh, he could cuss up a storm like Stephens and Brown, but I don't think I ever saw him turn around and start ripping on an assistant whenever something went wrong. And although he could get tough on his players, you could tell he would go through a wall for them if he had to.

BTW, was I the only one thinking I'd like to find out a little more about that Gonsalves dude? He seemed to make a lot of good runs throughout the game highlights.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

About halfway through the season. What is this feeling I’m feeling about the coaches and players this season? Affection? Respect? This is not why I watch the show.

Scout and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I have never heard of an interception in the end zone, followed by a penalty, resulting in a safety.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

We need @MileHigh

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

A holding call in the end zone of the team with possession is a safety. The interception happened in the end zone and the return team committed a hold in the end zone and got hit with a safety.

At least that's what I interpreted.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

I've seen a lot of football in my 68 years and never seen that one.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It takes a bit of stupidity.

If you intercept the ball in the end zone and there are people close enough as to require blocking, most people generally just fall down and take the touchback.

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I covered a HS game once where the team with the ball was on its 1 or 2 yard line. The QB rolled out in the end zone and ran the ball out to the 5, but one of the officials threw a flag for clipping or holding in the end zone on the offense. Officials called it a safety because the penalty occurred in the end zone. Coaches of the offense went nuts, but I confirmed it later with the supervisor of officials.

11. ChrisLong

Knew that holding in the end zone was a safety, though it is rarely happens. I had never heard of the interception scenario.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Since Laney College was within a mile of my office in Oaktown I was drawn to the show this year. The trials of living in the Bay Area are shown beautifully. The human side was more rewarding to see than the football although I found myself rooting for the team as well. I wish the best for the players we saw. That coach Beam is the epitome of the coaches I grew up with, which is a good thing. (However I’ve come to know that there is more to coaching than just coaching up stars).

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted