1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m three episodes into the third season and if that MLB doesn’t do well, I’m going to be Dookie sad.

The QB is fascinating to me. He’s brilliant and so damaged at the same time. He calls other players a n$@ger, ref gives him some slack and then he tells the res fuck you. All as calm as hell.

Then he is storming inside and takes a moment to be cool to a kid. That’s fascinating to me. I cannot imagine the shit he saw when he was a kid. His emotions and reactions are so unnatural.

The biggest thing that pisses me off is when Brown belittles his own coaches. That shit will keep you in Scooba or shit town KS your entire career.

2. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I finally started watching this the other day. Coach Stephens almost made the whole thing unwatchable for me.

One day: “You’re all fucking thugs!” Just a few weeks removed from a similar suspension.

The next week: “We’re all one big family. I stress family here”

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That was kind of the point of the 30 minutes we saw. He isn't smart enough to know how to get off. They don't really have anything on him other than his inability to articulate his answers. You look at it and it seems pretty clear he didn't know what was going to go down past a marijuana sale and he wasn't in the car or at the scene of the crime. His brother, who spent 3-4 years at Indiana, knew what to say and knew they had nothing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Donny in his element likes this.
  4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I try not to wish bad on people but Buddy Stephens might be an exception.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Note on Kingston Davis. The guy's a bowling ball, fast, tough to bring down, and has decent hands. We're deep at RB this season. He's behind Soph. Spencer Brown, who rushed for 1,329 yards with 10 TDs, while averaging 102.2 yards per game last season as a true Freshman.

Every ‘‘Last Chance U" Season 3 player on a G5 roster in 2018

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Is he that good though? Wasn't he one Michigan fans expected more from and never got it?

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That seemed a little too close to some coaches I've covered. Good ones too.

I'm sure these guys are a little on the edgy side, but I'd bet they're closer to the mainstream of the profession than we'd like to think.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He left Michigan and went Juco. I don't know if that was about his on field performance, playing time, academics, or what. He played well enough in Juco to get recruited to UAB. He'll be competing against C-USA players. I have to figure that if he was good enough to get a scholly at Michigan, he's good enough to do well here.

Bill Clark is a good judge of talent, and he's gotten a lot out of most of the kids that he's had here. Davis has looked pretty good in what little I've seen of him, which was the spring game. He was a beast in limited carries there. Practices used to be open, and I've watched many of them, but Clark runs a tight ship and they are no longer open. If nothing else, he's one hell of a lead blocker and a decent receiver out of the backfield, but the coaches are pretty high on him. Beyond that, who knows?

The team is fairly deep at RB, but it looks like he's shaping up to be #2 on the depth chart. We'll see in a month or so.

9. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I don't doubt it one bit. I just didn't think it made for entertaining television.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Girlfriend and I binge watched this over the weekend. Couple of thoughts:

Brown is vulgar, abrasive, obnoxious and many times showed he had no idea what he was doing ("Why isn't Malik in the game?" "I DON'T KNOW!!") and I'll sill take him every day over that giant assed phony Stephens. Let's not forget the first season when the rival school was antagonizing EMCC into a fight and, when his players finally retaliated, Stephens called them thugs and rednecks because HE was upset that his players ruined HIS chance at another title. Nevermind that a couple players on the opposing team were swinging helmets at his players. It was all about his record and him losing out on a chance to pad the resume. Fuck him and every asshole like him. For all of his flaws I also get the feeling that Brown legitimately cares more about his players than Stephens, who treats his players like a spoke on a wheel.

Good news for Stephens is he is no longer the person I hate most on this show. That honor now goes to Malik Henry's dad, who couldn't be bothered to be around for this kid from ages 4-15 but is now the advisor and life coach for this kid and is steering him down a path he clearly isn't interested in. I get the feeling Henry's preferred baseball over football after watching this, yet dad wants football and dad gets what dad wants. nd with his cool and confident attitude, Dad clearly thinks his knows what is best for his son when it's obvious he doesn't even know this kid as anything beyond a potential meal ticket.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Jay Bilas has said for years he thought his name in college was Jay Fucking Bilas.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The more I watch this, the more I don’t like Brown.

White guy from Compton is not a lifetime excuse for being a dick to people.

Draft saved Draft deleted