1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Call at Elaine's

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by typefitter, May 26, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Lion's Head closed in 1996.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

so? i stand by 'the lion's head' over 'elaine's' even with its doors closed for 15 years....

3. DK

DK Member

You had to be a big shot, didn't you?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times on Elaine's last night:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/nyregion/elaines-restaurant-jammed-on-its-closing-night.html?hpw

5. YankeeFan

But still mourned:

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/manhattans-most-mourned-bars/?smid=tw-share

6. YankeeFan

I'd also forgotten about the Streeterville location, which is also now closing:

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So where do the veteran scribes and/or bar-hoppers on this thread go to hoist a few in NYC today? I must report that since when I visit now I usually have stage-struck Alice with me, it's been Joe Allen's for me.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Five years since KVV wrote this, as he posted on Twitter, and I thought I'd bump the thread. Reading it again made me feel super old and nostalgic but also happy about life's many blessings, friendships not the least of them, and some of my better ones were first made here. Thought it might do the same for you guys, too. Not a bad way to feel. Hope you're all happy and well.

Son of Bold Venture: LAST CALL AT ELAINE'S, ft. KEVIN VAN VALKENBURG

BDC99, Alma, Dyno and 2 others like this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

As beautiful as the first time I read it.

Draft saved Draft deleted