1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Call at Elaine's

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by typefitter, May 26, 2011.

1. Kermit McManus

Kermit McManus New Member

Beautiful and lirical - made me almost be able to taste the cheese burger.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonder if Billy Joel will stop by.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Damn it, you're right. I've been to that one and I had forgotten about it. It's just north of Division, which sets it a little bit away from the mayhem of Rush & Division.

It is a good place.

They opened another on on Armitage near Clybourn. It didn't last long.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

P.J. Clarke's was our NY bar when I covered baseball.
    Great story from another writer:
    He has an "import" and they take a cab from the Hyatt to meet us at Clarke's. It's the end of the roadie the guy has $74 in cash in his wallet (a $50, a $20 and 4 $1s). The fare is something like $2.60. He throws 3 bucks at the cabbie and comes into the bar.
    We're sitting at the end of the bar right by the front door. We all greet the guy, tell him it's his round. He orders drinks, digs into his wallet and he has 3 bucks. He gets pissed because he realized he accidentally gave the cabbie $71.
    About 20 minutes later, he looks up and he sees the cabbie. He came into the bar and was looking for the guy. The cabbie said, "I couldn't live with myself if I took this." Astounded, the writer thanked him profusely and gave him the $20.
    One of those weird coincidental things. A cabbie returning money. His next fare was only a few blocks away. If he had an airport run, no way he comes back. We happened to be near the front door of Clarke's. Would he have checked out the whole place if he didn't see us right away? Really weird occurrence.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I never once set foot in Elaine's. I had other Manhattan bars, and nobody would go there for the food rather than for hanging out. Not knocking Elaine's. I'm sure it had plenty of regulars who loved the place and never set foot in the Lion's Head, either.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I always liked Runyon's.

(The original hole-in-the-wall place).

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm proud to say I was going there before the "Seinfeld" show (read about it in the New Yorker, I think). Al didn't know me from a tourist from Des Moines, but I got the fruit, bread and chocolate every time, so I think it was standard, George Costanza's experience nothwithstanding.

I miss it. There was nothing better on a chilly Fall day than stopping by for a soup made to perfection by one of the world's great soup artisans.

For the record, the fruit was perfect, too. I never got a piece that was damaged in any way or less than ripe at that exact moment. The guy was eccentric, but he had standards.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Went to Runyon's in 2000 after the Yankees beat the Mets. Bob Elliot of the Toronto Sun told me to go there.

Great experience.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I also was a Runyon's guy. Not just a sportswriters' bar, an American League beat writers bar. That's pretty specialized. But the Lion's Head was my favorite. Pretentious, I know, but not as much as liking Elaine's.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

For a couple years I lived 10 blocks south and two blocks east and I never set foot in the place. I think out of sheer contrariness.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Any bar that prominently posts Jenkins' ten degrees of drunkenness can't be all bad.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

'the lion's head' over 'elaine's' by a country mile for real writers not aspiring to become one of the members of the biggest boors on the planet. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted