1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LASIK roll call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, May 25, 2010.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't trust it, I'll stick to my geek glasses that I thankfully only need for movies, driving and games.

If I were Greg Maddux or an air traffic controller, I'd reconsider.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Had it done five years ago. I do see some halos at times, especially when I'm tired. Some dryness in eyes too. Vision is very sharp though and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Maddux was so much hotter in glasses, it's not even funny.

I got contacts a few years ago, but was broke when I ran out, so I've been rocking the glasses I've had for about four years for the past year or two. No biggie. But it would be nice to be able to wear sunglasses without having to buy contacts...or flipdowns. :D

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I echo the sentiments. Cost me about $2K and it has been great. Simply being able to go to sleep without worrying about taking out contacts is a wonderful thing. Recommend it highly. Just make sure that your pharmacy is close to the clinic. The topical anesthetic wears off quickly, and you'll need to get the pain meds in your system ASAP.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

My dad paid for my LASIK as a college graduation present. That was about five years ago, and it was easily the best gift I've ever been given. I had atrocious vision, my contact lens strength was something like -8.5. I occasionally get halos, but it's rare, and i got them much worse while wearing contacts.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As a -9.0/-7.0, I would love to have it done.

But unless they offer the incentive that GM and Ford did last year ("We'll make your payments if you get laid off for economic reasons"), I'm not willing to roll the dice. That's 2 mortgage payments, and I have 23 left.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If your company has flexible spending, this is the best way to get something like LASIK done. The money was taken out pre-tax, so it saved me quite a bit of money.

8. $2,600 for seven minutes!!!

I'm assuming this is elective surgery not covered by insurance?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's almost never covered by insurance.

10. I'm pretty vain* - or at least I used to be til I got married, had three kids and gained 25 pounds.
    I haven't been able to wear contacts for more than four hours at a time for a long time. I have been stuck wearing glasses for years now.

*I once went two weeks wearing only one contact lens in leiu of my glasses.

11. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I am getting LASIK done in two weeks. My eyesight has been horrible for several years now, especially from my left eye. I wear glasses mainly to read. My dad and several friends have had LASIK and they are all very happy with the outcome.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about it.

Our company might still pay for it. For a long time, it did after 10 years on the job. I'm a few months from that. I'm afraid to ask, right now, because I'm afraid I might draw attention to the policy and have someone in HR say they should probably cut that. I'll wait until my anniversary to inquire.

The idea of someone cutting or burning on my eyes never really appealed, but I'd like to be able to wake up and not have my first thought be, "Where the hell are my glasses."

Draft saved Draft deleted