1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LASIK roll call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, May 25, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I started my two week purgatory in glasses today leading up to LASIK. I haven't worn my glasses for even a full day I think since 1994. This is going to be a pain but worth it.

My wife has had it and five guys I play softball with. Each and every one says it's the best thing they ever did.

I watched my wife's surgery, and other than the Clockwork Orange eye opener thing, it didn't turn me off.

How was other people's experience.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ask Brian McCann how his went:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/05/07/mccann-has-more-eye-problems-will-go-back-to-glasses/

Seriously, though, unless you're trying to hit a 95 mph fastball, you should be OK. My stepdad, who is 62, had it a few years ago and can now read the newspaper and computer screen without reading glasses. I know he's glad he did it.

3. Shoeless Joe

yeah, as a nightly Braves viewer, I'm all too familiar with McCann's vision problems. I think he needs to have it a third time because he's not see the ball from crap.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had it done seven years ago and I went from 20/100 to 20/15 overnight. No more glasses.

I wonder if the price has come down at all. I think I paid about $2500 for mine. I know you can get it done cheaper, but I wanted to make sure I went to one of the better docs in the area.

5. Shoeless Joe

Not cheaper. Mine's gonna be 3500. I decided to go ahead and do the full platinum package that includes lifetime service and care. If they ever had to do any enhancements or anything, it's covered. It also includes the custom LASIK that is programmed specifically for my eyes rather than just doing a prescription number and moving on. It is more expensive, but I figure in the long run it might be worth it if nothing else for peace of mind.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Had mine done back in 2001 or 2002, can't remember. Best $2,600 I've ever spent. Procedure took 7 minutes and I was back covering a game the next day.

Will probably need my left eye (always been the weakest) done again sometime down the road.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why I have never looked into this (no pun intended) seriously. I am blind as a bat and am a slave to contact lenses, which I hate. I have thought about it and never followed through. Maybe this thread will be the impetus.

8. Shoeless Joe

I have thought about it in the past but the expense kind of put me off. We got a good enough tax refund check back this year that allowed my wife and I both to do it without any real burden, so we pulled the trigger. Although she is quite miserly, she was the one who first brought it up. I said go for it. When she undid the purse strings and said if she got it, I should, too, I didn't argue.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd thought about it off and on, but my new company offers 10 percent off as one of its discounts. So I might have to more seriously consider it.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have two friends who had complications. For one, it didn't work (don't exactly know the mechanics of that, but her vision wasn't corrected) and the other had terrible halos for months and months. They haven't gone away entirely, but she's gotten used to them.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I was under the impression it could only be done once, which is why I've been waiting to do it until my mid-30s or so.

Guess I learned something today.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't think I'd ever do it -- glasses aren't that big a pain in the ass to me -- but don't your eyes change through the years? People need new prescriptions for glasses, don't they need Lasik updates?

(Obviously I haven't studied the issue much.)

Draft saved Draft deleted