1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Las Vegas Review-Journal/Dan Wheldon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then may you enjoy the most perfect career in journalism in the world.

Because for a lot of us, we know that there will be at least one day, and probably a lot more, in which we do end up fucking up. And we'll learn from it, and try not to make it happen again.

And readers will find a way to bitch about anything. That's not to say they're always wrong. But if management cares enough about them, then maybe they'll devote more resources to make sure these mistakes don't happen.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No, because there's no space limitations in the Internet so the story needs to run on both, as it almost always does.

I should add, http://lvrj.com/sports now has a nice presentation up on Wheldon with plenty of stories.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I can't believe this debate dissolved into "readers will find a way to bitch about anything." That is inexcusable in this argument.

And Versatile is right. Like others, I bookmark my newspaper sports page. In my case I go directly to the Denver Post sports site, bypassing the main page. If a Bronco player died on the field, and the sports page looked similar to this one, I might never visit the Denver Post site again. I wouldn't want my news coming from a shoddy operation, no matter the excuse. It could be the best reason in the world, but I'll never know or take the time to find out.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

You've worked at one newspaper, kid. I'm sure you count your college campus paper, but I don't.

So when you say "most reporters I've known" you are talking about your classmates from a no-name journalism school and your colleagues from the Podunk Press.

Meanwhile, there are professional journalists out there whose entire jobs revolve around online content and website presentation. To imply that a reporter, whose job should entail maybe 10 percent thinking about the web, is better at that job than someone who thinks about the web 100 percent of the time is shortsighted.

How would you feel if the online editor didn't trust your ability to report and sent you a list of questions to ask Coach Snot after Friday's game? You'd be offended.

So if your paper has an online editor, find a way to endear yourself to that person and be helpful. The product will be better for it. Don't talk shit about their job performance behind their back.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also, I've worked at two papers (one was once pretty good sized) and two national websites. I can tell you there wasn't a reporter at either paper who looked at the website to see if their story was there. Not a one.

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

IJAG, I'm sure it's because they trust their web counterparts to do their jobs.

I know there are some reporters who do, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Like I said, if people work together it will improve the product. I think young reporters trying to tell other people how to do their jobs is a bad thing.

(I'm not speaking specifically about the LVRJ here; obviously this is a valid topic for discussion, but I don't know enough about the situation to really make a judgment call. I'm just addressing Matt's post.)

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, I know of at least one at one of your stops who checked obsessively if he had any news to see if it was up and quickly.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This.

Pretty major news. I imagine most papers -- big, small and in between -- got something up on this rather quickly and put it in a prominent place. We're not near Las Vegas and we do very little with racing. Yet we grabbed something right away (true, our web guy does work on Sundays) and within minutes, it was one of our most-read stories.

This was a big enough deal to make anyone in the business go, whoa, we need to get something on this going right away.

In your town? Lord.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You ... I mean he was barely a writer when I was there. And when yo ... he was writing, he wasn't in the office. So I didn't check on him to see if he was bitching about his content. :D

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying, and whenever there's an issue I always check up with those responsible for handling online content, but we're entering an era where the location of content on the Web is arguably more important than where it is in print. Like I was saying earlier, I'm a stickler for these type of details, so I may be in the minority here. I don't care if it's my story or Stringer X's, if a story is in print, it should definitely be online. Even when I was at Rivals.com sites, I liked to see the most important news as the main story, even if it wasn't the most recent.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We post our stories ourselves, post photos ourselves, write headlines ourselves ... leads to some awfully bad stuff getting online (by other people, of course!)

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No way. Most reporters I have worked with were always checking the Web to make sure stories were posted. I did it, too. A lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted