1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaRussa and Bernie Miklasz argument

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OrangeGrad, Apr 28, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is an accurately reported -- as told to the reporter -- but again, he is going way out on a limb and he better be right.

I had a similar thing happen to me -- regarding an accident and an eyewitness account of alcohol being used just prior -- and my editor told me in no uncertain terms -- absolutely not. He just wasn't ready to open us up to any lawsuits or controversy's unless we had a smoking gun.

I knew I had a good source (about three days later the police report became public and there was indeed alcohol involved) and I was a bit miffed at our lack of courage but I understood the decision and why it was made and didn't put up a very big fight about it either because of that.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

My reaction is the same as zagoshe's. I have no reason to question the reporter's work, but you have to be very sure of your sources to go with this. The quotes about Hancock being too hung over to pitch last week are damning.

The other question I had: Was Campbell contacted for comment? Or, has he been on ESPN talking about it?

3. zagoshe

Dave Campbell refutes the part of the story where Hancock allegedly told him he had been drinking and that's why he overslept and was late for the game the other day -- which means the whole story is turning into a mess.

Again, I really can't believe the P-D went this far out on a limb on the word of a couple of fans in a bar.

4. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I would expect Campbell to refute it. It's his word against an unnamed source. If I were a betting man, I'd guess the story is pretty near accurate. I'd like to think the editors at the P-D have more than just an unnamed source's word on it. When the manager at the restaurant/bar says she offered to call Hancock a cab and then says to ask the police if he was drinking, that raises a red flag for me.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The exact quote from Soup is "I'm not that kind of journalist."

I wasn't aware he was any kind of journalist, but that's just me.

The fact that "Vince" knew who Campbell was, and who Hancock was, tells me he's probably a looserfanboy who stuck around listening to the entire conversation and watched their every move. Probably asked for the guy's autograph and would have tried to take a photo with his cell phone, if it were doable.

The manager at Shannon's is Pat Shannon, who is Cards broadcaster Mike's daughter, I believe.

There are so many different issues in the Post-Dispatch story today; really something.

LaRussa "warning" his players against media people who are "against them", with "their own agenda". Like anyone in St. Louis wants to deliberately defame a dead man, especially a Cardinal.

The closing of ranks is astonishing, although not unusual, I guess.

But it's really kind of pointless, isn't it? Especially given the earlier accident involving Hancock, and the time of that accident (some seven hours before the day game the next day). Who's driving sober at 5:30 a.m. in those circumstances, unless they're speeding to the hospital with their about-to-give-birth wife?

I realize that's all circumstancial; when the toxicology report comes back, and if what we all believe to have happened is confirmed, it will look even sillier for those who closed ranks.

I mean, if you're defending a habitual drunk driver who endangers hundreds of other people, who are you?

Be an interesting story as it plays out.

6. zagoshe

Another strange twist to the story.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2854743

7. scalper

scalper Member

When discussing La Russa, it's always helpful to remember that two of his best buddies and confidants n the big-time coaches club are Bill Parcells and Bob Knight.

Need we say anymore?

8. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

In all of this, I can't say how much I've been impressed by Miklasz lately. What an effin pro. First, he calls La Russa out on the bullshit about refusing to answer questions from the P-D, standing up to La Russa, looking him in the eye, and not backing down after La Russa tried to intimidate him. (Watch the Youtube video). And in the following days, his columns on the whole Hancock situation have been outstanding. Here are his last 2 columns, in chronological order.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/FC96FAEC647AEEC6862572CF00159ABF?OpenDocument

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/BF1A49D7030C434A862572D00014B26C?OpenDocument

Again, calling La Russa out on his bullshit and describing why the media is dealing with this situation the way it is better than I thought anyone could to the general public. Solid all around. I've always liked Miklasz, but his work lately puts him on a whole new level IMO. Especially since he brought up his own DUI arrest in the interest of full disclosure. What I said before. A pro's pro.

And this coming from me... a Cards fan...!

9. Always figured Vedder would be a Mariners guy . . .

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Believe it or not, Vedder's actually a Cubs fan.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Agreed.

It was important that he brought up his own DUI. And it's important that he's saying what he's saying, because you know the P-D is taking a lot of crap from the see-no-evil, hear-no-evil Cardinal fans.

But, was I a little queasy seeing the quotes from the unnamed sources in the P-D stories? Yes. But at least they had some backup with the part about the restaurant manager wanting to call a cab for Hancock.

Draft saved Draft deleted