1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larsen's perfect game on MLB TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jan 14, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't find the station.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's pretty amazing, isn't it? For about 15 years, I taped the All-Star Game and tucked the tapes away thinking, "I can't imagine being able to see Mays, Mantle, all those players play in the same game. I want to make sure my kids can see the legends from today."

Of course, my kids will probably turn out to be artists, and there will be no working VCRs left when they'd be old enough to care anyway. But dammit, I have trucked those tapes around for 20 years!

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

How much will it cost me for you to make me a DVD of the '87 game? I'll even send you a blank and reimburse you for the time.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm pretty sure I have it. I'd even send it to you to copy -- I know where to find you.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sweet. Let me know. If it takes a case of Fresca, then I'll pony up.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Years ago, I got to watch Game 7 of the 1952 Series (this was back before the classic sports channels). I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a game in which the only graphics were the guy's last name when they came to bat. It was a very unique viewing experience.

Plus, I found Red Barber's voice to be very relaxing. As someone who grew up after Barber stopped broadcasting, it was pretty cool to hear a voice that my father grew up listening to.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So did he do it?

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not quite.

It got dark and the game was called in the seventh inning. They went out for burgers and malts afterward, though.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, man. That's too bad. I guess that autographed picture I got my grandma for Christmas two years ago went down in value.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Then again, maybe it did happen.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Did somebody say PERFECT GAME?

12. You know, there wasn't a ton of hoopla when they launched, which makes me wonder if it is a soft-launch, or sorts. I can't remember how the NFL Network came out. I stumbled across it one day and I liked what I saw as well. Much like NFLN, the programming can be a bit stale in the offseason, with the hot stove report thing being one of the few things to really maintain my interest. I'm anxious to see what they do come April, and how it affects programs like baseball tonight. For as much of an ass that Harold Reynolds was portrayed, I always liked him as an analysist.

Draft saved Draft deleted