1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lars Anderson's SI piece on Tuscaloosa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, May 19, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope. But am sure he's saying to himself "even though this will end up in BASW 2011, that kid who keeps posting jobs on SportsJournalists.com is right! It would have been better that way. How did I ever get hired here?"
    That factual thingy YankeessSuck mentioned? Little more concrete....

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Come on Slappy, Anderson really wants to know what some intern thinks of his writing. Maybe we should get the two of them together so the intern can coach Anderson on writing.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Thought the story was well written. The detail he got from the long-snapper was very personal, made it even more compelling. No complaints here.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I just think the dude has a cool name.

Lars.

As Beavis would say, "It kicks ass!!!"

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Maybe a conversation about different styles of writing and story construction can (gasp!) make us better. How/why did something work or not work? Hmm, sounds like discussing sports journalism.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Didn't you fail as a sportswriter in Podunk, North Dakota? Why are you still here?

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

Stop being a tool, no vowels.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Isn't that what this message board is for? See nearly every response on every other thread. I'd love to have a place dedicated to people who are more courteous ("Anyone hear anything about this job?" "You're hired!" etc.) and cared more about discussing sports journalism. Apparently some of the board members (Stitch, et. al) don't and hijack threads with their consistent trolling.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anyone else see the courteous irony here with Mr. Mxyzptlk's doas I say and not as I do?
    Anderson's piece was written well, needed factual help. If, on your best day, you're half as good as him in style and accuracy, I would suppose you could land your dream job -- whatever that may be.
    Instead you offer supposition on style to make yourself feel you've put your education to good use.
    Nothing wrong with Anderson's story conceptually.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Anderson's story is brilliant, but if 15 people had the same material, I imagine there would have been 15 different stories. I'm just throwing ideas out at how it could be different, as well as discussing whether certain devices worked. I happen to like using the "tell the first part of a story at the beginning and conclude with it" outline.

As a side note: It's indicative about this site that about 5 people posted discussing the piece after my initial question and 2-3 people responded with taking potshots.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Just my two cents--didn't like way it was written. I knew the outcome of the Harrison story and I still skipped and skimmed ahead until I found where he brought it to closure.

Just made the story disjointed from this reader's view.

12. I thought it was well written, and I was OK with the structure. The baseball team finding the white dress hit me pretty hard.

I found one thing odd: The baseball player from Oklahoma called his dad to ask what he needed to do. I figured every Oklahoma kid learns that information early in life.

Draft saved Draft deleted